I was never sports-oriented in high school. No track, basketball, or Powder Puff football. (Yes, they really did have that.) If fact, I was never much of a sport enthusiast at all. But strangely, years later, I’ve found exercising more enjoyable than I ever thought it would be.
One of my favorite ways to workout is with HIIT (high intensity interval training). HIIT is doing specific exercises at a high intensity for short periods of time.
There are tons of exercises you can do. Here’s a basic example of a HIIT workout:
1. Push ups – do these with your feet together, wider apart (easier), or on your knees (easiest).
2. Sit ups – feet on the floor, toes under the couch, or ask your toddler to sit on your feet.
3. Jumping Jacks – we loved doing them in elementary school.
4. Jump Rope – it’s like riding a bike: you never forget how, it just takes some practice to get the hang of it again.
5. Squats – make sure your feet are shoulder width apart and squat until your bum is lower than your knees. Don’t squat as low if you’re just beginning or if your knees give you problems.
6. Calf Raises – Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Rise up on your toes, hold for a few seconds, then lower your heels to the floor again.
For a nice workout you would time each exercise at a high intensity for 30 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, then move to the next exercise. You could go through all six exercises once, twice, or three or four times, depending on how intense you want to make it. One round through all six exercises would only take you four minutes. Do it five times and you’ve got a solid 20 minute workout.
You might look at this and smile – it sounds so easy! But wait ’til you try it. It’s an effective workout you can do easily in the comfort of your home and still get the results you’d be paying a gym membership for.
What’s your favorite HIIT exercise?
Shared at: A Little Bit of Spain In Iowa, The Healthy Home Economist, Tip Junkie, Chef in Training, Time-Warp Wife, Vintage Wannabee, Permanent Posies, Hope Studios, Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mommy, Juliecache, Celebrating Family, Far Above Rubies, Rook No. 17, Women Living Well, Frugally Sustainable, Milk & Cuddles, We Are That Family, Raising Homemakers, The Thrifty Home, Live Renewed, Nourishing Gourmet, Real Food Whole Health, Simply Sweet Home, Thirty Handmade Days, Life as Mom, Natural Mother’s Network, Growing Home, Our Simple Farm, Deep Roots at Home, Raising Mighty Arrows, Our Simple Country Life, Little Natural Cottage, Christian Mommy Blogger,