Top 10 Health Benefits of Sea Salt
If you’re the least bit health conscious you’ve probably heard of sea salt and are hopefully putting it to good use! Sea salt has so many wonderful health benefits and can be used for so many things beyond cooking. Let’s take a look at those benefits and how you can start incorporating it into your daily routine if you haven’t already.
What is sea salt?
Sea salt is solidified minerals of evaporated ocean water. Because sea salt is not processed it is rich in many trace minerals that are vital to our overall health and wellbeing.
What’s in sea salt?
Sea salt contains beneficial minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iodine, potassium, and of course sodium chloride.
Table salt is one of the most common salts consumed. It is a highly refined (processed) salt that has been stripped of beneficial minerals. There are two key points to note when it comes to deciding whether or not sea salt or table salt is more suitable for you.
- Sodium levels- You will find conflicting studies and reports done on the sodium levels of both sea salt and table salt. Though there is not much difference between sodium levels, sea salt does contain slightly lower sodium levels per grain/serving. That being said, sea salt is also more flavorful than table salt, thus you need less sea salt than you would table salt to achieve the perfect salty taste, lowering your overall sodium intake.
- Iodine- Some say that table salt (iodized salt) should be consumed over sea salt because table salt has added iodine. What they do not explain is that sea salt also has natural occurring iodine in it. Though the levels of iodine are not as prevalent in sea salt, it is still there and if you follow a nutrient rich diet you should not need the added iodine.
All salt should be consumed in moderation because of the sodium levels, but as you will read, there are far more benefits to sea salt versus table salt.
What are the health benefits of sea salt?
- Alkalizing- Unlike table salt, because of the healthful minerals in sea salt, it can reverse and eliminate acidity in the body
- Boosts immunity- The magnesium in sea salt supports various immune system functions
- Cellular hydration- Sea salt promotes cellular health by keeping cells properly hydrated so they are able to carry out specific functions within the body
- Heart health- Sea salt reduces the risk of heart disease and promotes healthy cardiac function by reducing bad cholesterol, regulating blood pressure and normalizing irregular heart rythms
- Diabetes- Sea salt helps reduces blood sugar levels in the body
- Strong bones- Sea salt restores minerals (sodium an calcium) to build stronger bones and prevent osteoporosis and other bone degenerative diseases
- Reduces stress- The magnesium in sea salt promotes serotonin and melatonin production in the body which helps reduce stress and promote healthy sleep patterns
- Muscle function- The potassium in sea salt helps prevent and alleviate muscle cramps and spasms as well as enhancing overall muscle function.
- Detoxifying- Sea salt is an antiseptic and pulls toxins out of the body
- Thyroid function- The natural iodine in sea salt promotes healthy thyroid function
- Bath Salts
- Body scrubs/exfoliation
- Homemade toothpastes
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Hair texturizer/hold spray
- Natural remedies
- Wound healing
- Food preservation