Summer is just around the corner. I can smell dark soil, mud puddles, and gentle summer rains hovering in the air. I saw tiny buds on my lilac bush yesterday (hurray)! When I look out the windows, I find myself actually looking forward to raking and cleaning up the yard.
What better way to welcome summer then with a taste of strawberries?
This is one of our favorite snacks when we want something cold and sweet, without taking the time to make ice-cream. We use either this or this homemade yogurt to make it thick and creamy – and then we add a splash of almond extract for a unique twist. Add fresh or frozen strawberries and some stevia to make it sugar-free and healthy. (And because we’re shedding those concealing sweaters!)
Just a few tweaks (in the notes) will make this recipe available to those on the paleo and AIP diets.
Sugar-Free Strawberry Smoothie
Use yogurt to make it thick and creamy, and add a splash of almond extract for a unique twist. A quick and easy treat that’s cold, yummy, and healthy too!
- 2 cups strawberries ((fresh or frozen))
- 2 cups plain yogurt ((you can also use canned coconut milk to make it dairy-free) )
- 1 tsp. almond extract ((vanilla works too))
- 1 pinch stevia ((to taste))
- 15-20 ice cubes
- Place the ice cubes and strawberries in a blender or food processor. (It blends easier if they are at the bottom and closer to the blades).
- Then add yogurt, almond extract, and stevia (add a little at a time and taste test to get the desired sweetness).
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into individual glasses and top with a berry to enjoy!
Note: Using canned coconut milk will make this allowed on the paleo diet. Using canned coconut milk and vanilla extract will make this allowed on the AIP diet.
What are your favorite ways to welcome summer?