Applesauce Almond Cake
Cake is great.
It’s easy to whip together and versatile enough to serve at church picnics, card parties, play dates, dinner with friends, or a simple but satisfying end to a family meal.
It was for the latter reason I decided to make a cake recently. I wanted something a little sweet after the supper meal and was craving an applesauce cake I’d made a few years ago that I hadn’t yet tried converting to gluten-free. . .until now.
Deliciously moist cake
I was ecstatic with the results. A delicious and moist cake with enough applesauce to make me feel like I was eating on the healthy side and a beautiful frosting that crusted lightly on the top but was still soft and smooth underneath.
Applesauce Almond Cake w/ Brown Sugar & Honey Frosting
This Applesauce Almond Cake with Brown Sugar & Honey Frosting is moist and sweet, yet satisfyingly healthy.
Almond Cake —————
- 2 1/4 cups GF Flour Mix
- 3/4 cups raw honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2/3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped ((optional))
Brown Sugar and Honey Frosting —————-
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
For Almond Cake —————
- Combine the GF Flour Mix, honey, salt, butter, almond extract, milk, lemon juice, eggs, and applesauce.
- Refrigerate the batter for 12-24 hours. (The longer the better.)
- When you are ready to bake, let the batter come to room temp.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×13 or two 9″ cake pans.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, and chopped almonds to the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for 45-50 min. or until the cake springs back when you touch it. (You may have to increase your baking time a bit as soaked flours take longer to bake.)
Cool and frost with Brown Sugar and Honey Frosting (recipe below).
Brown Sugar and Honey Frosting —————
- Melt butter. Add cane sugar and honey; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for about 1 min. Remove from the heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in milk and vanilla. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth; cool 1 min.
- Spread evenly over cake and let set to form a light crust.