It’s not often that a single cookbook overtakes my kitchen and makes all the other cookbooks sit on the shelf in a layer of dust. But this one. . .this one has become my go-to, never-fail, I-know-we’ll-love-it cookbook.
In our quest to eat a cleaner, healthier diet, I’m ALWAYS on the lookout for a cookbook that delivers what I need. This one takes the cake – literally! Every. Single. Recipe. we’ve tried is delicious. . .and gone in less time than it takes to read this review. 😉
I wanted a cookbook that’s grain-free (we’re not completely grain-free, but we most definitely cut back on our grains.) Check.
I wanted a cookbook that uses unprocessed, natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup. Check.
I wanted a cookbook whose recipes are tested and fail-proof. Check.
I wanted a cookbook whose recipes WOW my family. Check.
Everyday Grain-Free Baking
Everyday Grain-Free Baking includes more than 100 irresistible recipes compatible with the most common grain-free diets, i.e. Paleo, Primal, SCD and GAPS. The delicious, easy-to-make recipes are also starch-free, refined-sugar-free, and dairy-free (or they contain dairy-free options so they can easily be converted.)
Although we’re not dairy-free, it was a big deal the weekend I was making a meal for friends who’d just welcomed their fourth (absolutely squishy and delicious) baby. Their family is gluten and dairy-free, and this cookbook delivered! I made the above Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake – of course making one for our family as well ;), and it was a hit for everyone.
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Reprinted with permission from Everyday Grain-Free Baking
Yield: 9 servings
1 tablespoon butter (or coconut oil)
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon honey
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3½ cups blanched almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup honey
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (or palm shortening)
½ cup pure coconut milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
4 large eggs, plus 2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 315°F. Lightly oil a 9×9-inch baking dish; set aside.
2. For the Topping: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Add the finely chopped walnuts and toss well to combine. Set aside.
3. For the Cinnamon Swirl: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Set aside.
4. For the Cake: In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the eggs and egg whites to the top of the dry ingredients in the order given. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process until the batter is smooth and creamy (about 20–25 seconds).
5. Add the eggs and egg whites. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process just enough to blend the eggs into the batter (about 10–15 seconds). Use a thin spatula as needed to scrape down the sides.
6. Carefully spoon half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Use an offset spatula to smooth out the top.
7. Drizzle with the cinnamon swirl across the top of the batter. Then carefully spoon the remaining cake batter on top. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top of the batter. Next, starting at the edges of the cake, crumble the topping evenly across the cake. Use your fingers to gently press the topping into the batter a bit.
8. Bake the cake for 45–55 minutes until light golden brown along edges and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool about 5-10 minutes. Then serve warm with your favorite coffee or tea.
Kelly’s mission in creating Everyday Grain-Free Baking is to transform the comfort foods we each hold dear into flavorful and satisfying grain-free versions so similar to traditional gluten-based foods everyone will enjoy them.
She’s passed with flying colors.
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnut pieces finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted (or palm shortening)
- ½ cup pure coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 large eggs plus 2 egg whites