Every now and then I like to use whey protein powder. Mostly for those days when I know, I’m not getting enough protein, or when I’m running out the door and need something quick to curb my hunger so I don’t grab the first unhealthy snack I see. . .and sometimes just because it’s super convenient.
Okay, mostly it’s because it’s super convenient. 😉
I started out adding my favorite whey protein powder to a smoothie but then started looking online for healthy recipes that used whey. It wasn’t until I kept seeing ‘protein ball snack’ recipes pop up that I hit the jackpot.
This is what whey protein was made for.
A recipe comes to life
I found several recipes that called for sugar or an ingredient I didn’t have on hand, or sometimes they just didn’t sound good – so, the experimenting began.
These protein ball snacks started out as an attempt to make vanilla-flavored snacks, but silly me, chocolate will always be the winner. I should have just started there and saved some time. 😉
Maybe one day I’ll attempt vanilla…but probably not. 😉
I love these protein ball snacks because they remind me of a Crunch candy bar. They’re chocolate, they melt in your mouth, and they have that little-added crunch that makes them interesting.
Oh, and because they’re HEALTHY. Which is, of course, the whole point in making them…right.
I usually make the plain ones, but if you want to add a little pizzaz, coating them in crushed almonds or coconut flakes is just as delicious and makes you feel like you’re eating a foil-wrapped Valentine treat.
Chocolate Crunch Protein Ball Snacks (gluten-free, sugar-free)
1/2 cup buckwheat groats (or gluten-free rolled oats)
1 1/2 teaspoons stevia powder (this is measured with my favorite brand, but your brand may vary in sweetness so adjust as needed)
1 Tablespoon chia seed
3 Tablespoons cacao powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1-2 Teaspoons coconut oil (as needed to create desired consistency)
optional: unsweetened coconut flakes or chopped almonds for rolling
- This is super simple. Throw everything but the coconut oil and optional coating ingredients in a food processor. Process about 1 minute or until thoroughly mixed.
- Add coconut oil, one Tablespoon at a time, to reach the desired consistency. I like mine just thick enough to scoop out and form a soft ball.
- Refrigerate for about 30 min.
- With a small cookie scoop, scoop out the dough and roll lightly in either unsweetened coconut flakes, chopped almonds, or leave plain.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour. You can store these in the refrigerator freezer.