I love harvesting the last ripe tomatoes of the season. Something about them makes me savor each and every bite rather than taking their summer flavor for granted. This salad was my last effort to enjoy our garden tomatoes – and I could have eaten the whole bowl!
You can serve immediately, or hold the bacon and store it in the fridge overnight to meld the flavors and then add the bacon right before serving. Either way – enjoy!
End of the Season Tomato Basil Salad (gluten-free, candida-diet)
5-6 garden fresh tomatoes
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/2 c. thinly sliced cabbage
4 slices nitrate-free bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. dried basil
optional topping: Parmesan cheese
- Slice tomatoes into about 1/2 inch slices and then dice into cubes.
- Add diced green peppers and red onions. Thinly slice the cabbage and add that as well.
- Cook bacon in oven @ 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Let cool, soak up fat with a paper towel and crumble. Do not add bacon to the salad until right before serving.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Stir lightly.
- Store in fridge or eat right away – add bacon right before serving. Optional: top with Parmesan cheese.