The kids love cookie bars. Who am I kidding – I love cookie bars!
Sometimes I just want to throw all this healthy eating out the window, ya know! Say ‘who cares’ and sit down to a smorgasbord of junk food and chuck it all to the wind.
But like it or not, there are certain truths to eating healthy:
1. you feel better
2. I’m pretty sure you’ll live more productively
3. you’re teaching your kids to be healthy
4. you’re encouraging others to take care of their bodies by leading with your example
Yep – healthy eating is here to stay. Besides that, if you threw it all out the window you’d be laying on the couch in less than half an hour, groaning in misery. 😉
But eating healthy doesn’t mean we can NEVER eat something that isn’t organic, non-GMO, sugar-free, or all those other things on our ‘ideal food’ list. Because if we’re not careful, the concern over what we eat will take over our lives. It becomes an idol.
Instead, eat healthIER – and keep your not-so-healthy treats to a minimum. Tweak them into something just as delicious, but a tad healthier. Like this – a favorite recipe that the kids and I enjoy during those ‘every-so-often’ moments.
Healthier, Chocolatey, Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (adapted from Toll House)
1 c. (2 sticks) real butter, melted
¾ c. rapadura sugar (or other healthy sugar option like cane sugar)
1 t. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. celtic sea salt
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips (we like Enjoy Life)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
3. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour melted butter over dough and mix again. This will turn the batter chocolately as most of the chocolate chips will melt.
4. Pour into greased 9×13 pan. Bake 20 min.