Some of my favorite desserts are those that sneak in healthy vegetables when no one’s looking. Better yet is when the dessert is sugar and gluten-free too! Sarah came up with this delicious recipe and my family has enjoyed it many, many times!
“14 Carat” Carrot Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
(allowed on Stage 2 & 3 of Dr. Bakker’s Candida Crusher diet.)
- 1-15 oz can of Cannellini Beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed well
- 5 eggs
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. celtic sea salt
- ½ c. coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/3 c. powdered xylitol
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ c. coconut flour
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- stevia to taste
- 3 c. carrots, shredded
- 1 c. walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan with butter or coconut oil.
- Blend the beans and eggs in a blender until there are no bean chunks. Pour into a mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, including the xylitol. Mix well.
- Add stevia to taste – a little at a time until just a bit too sweet (the sweetness dulls when baking).
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pan comes out clean.
- Let cake sit at least 4 to 6 hours before frosting and serving – any beany flavor will disappear.
- Frost with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (try to find a combo of greek yogurt/cream cheese**)
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of celtic sea salt
- stevia to taste
- In a small mixing bowl blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Add stevia to taste – a little at a time.
- Store in refrigerator. (It will need to be brought to room temp. to be spreadable.)
**if you can’t find a product with ‘live cultures’ the next best option would be to add a probiotic capsule to it and mix in well before using it in the recipe.
The Sweeter Side of Candida
Do you like this recipe? Are you looking for more sugar-free, gluten-free recipes? Check out The Sweeter Side of Candida for more than 70 delicious desserts just like this one!