{Raising Healthy Families} Avoid Unsafe Flu Shots with Pepper Juice

flu shots

The FLU.

In the past few years no other word has struck as much fear during the winter months as this one. According to the media, the flu is right up there with the Black Plague of Death! The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) states that 36,000 Americans die each year from the flu.

The Flu Shot Hoax

Those numbers would be a concern – IF it were true.  But ironically the CDC’s own records show that only a few hundred Americans die from the flu in an average year. The same records show that more people actually die from malnutrition and asthma. I’m wondering if their math skills aren’t getting a little rusty. . .

Not only is chaos created when words like ‘pandemic’ start getting thrown around for no reason, the solution we’re offered is flu shots that aren’t remotely needed or safe. The flu shot has been documented to cause serious reactions such as life-threatening allergies, Guillian-Barr Syndrome (GBS) – a potentially fatal paralytic disease, encephalitis (brain inflammations), and thrombocytopenia (serious blood disorder). And they expect us to risk all that to avoid the common flu?

If that wasn’t enough, these unsafe flu shots don’t even work! A master study researching 40 years worth of flu vaccine studies showed no evidence that the flu vaccine prevented the flu in children or in the elderly. It also didn’t effect hospital stays, time off from work, or death and complications from the flu.

The Cochrane Collaboration, 2004, 2006
The Lancet, February 2005

Flu Shot Alternatives

While the flu isn’t the epidemic the media would have you believe, it’s also true that no one really wants to get the flu either. Simple steps in health and hygiene are more effective – and much safer than the flu shot any day. Our first line of defense is to wash our hands regularly, followed by natural supplementation to boost our immune systems such as Vitamin D, echinachea, and my personal favorite – Pepper Juice.

What’s Pepper Juice?

Ah, Pepper Juice. The love of my life. My answer to life’s coughs, colds, and flus. A natural sniffling-sneezing-coughing-aching-stuffyhead-fever-so-I-can-rest medicine.

It’s got a kick and just enough eye-opening WOW to make you sit back and blink a time or two. Yep, it will kill what ails you. No pun intended. 😉

What makes Pepper Juice so effective? It’s powerhouse of ingredients.

Garlic – used for centuries to treat every complaint from a cold to the plague, garlic is known for a plethora of health benefits. It kills bacteria, fungi, viruses, parasitic worms and is good for detoxing (by increasing perspiration, loosening phlegm, and stimulating the immune system.

Onions – like garlic, onions were known throughout history as a cure for many illnesses. They prevent asthma attacks, destroy bacterial growth, reduces inflammation, prevents infection, relieves congestion, and stimulates growth of good bacteria.

Ginger – known most commonly for preventing nausea, ginger also prevents infection, increases perspiration (good for detoxing), eases headaches and migraines, promotes expulsion of phlegm and mucous, inhibits the growth of micro-organisms, and relieves upset stomaches and sore throats.
Habanero Peppers – (You can use any hot pepper – the hotter the better.) Hot peppers contain capsaicin, the phytochemical that causes their heat and acts as a pain killer. They relieve headaches and sinus inflammation, and stimulate endorphins (natural pain killers).

Horseradish – known best as a popular condiment, horseradish is also good for your health. It destroys bacterial growth, is anti-cancerous, reduces inflammation similar to aspirin but without the side effects, helps the body resist viruses, and enables drainage which then relieves sinus pressure and helps clear infection.

So how do you make this wonder concoction? I thought you’d never ask!

Pepper Juice

equal parts of:
garlic
onion
ginger
hot peppers (the hotter the better)
horseradish

1. Wash equal parts (e.g. 1/2 cup) of each vegetable and chop in a food processor or by hand. (You may want to wear gloves when handling the peppers. Also, make sure you don’t touch your face or eyes.) You don’t want to blend the veggies in a blender because you’ll need to drain them later. Let them be chunky. They’re happier that way.

2. Fill a jar 2/3rds full with cut up vegetables. We use a half gallon jar.

3. Fill the jar with raw apple cider vinegar or at least 80 proof vodka, making sure you cover the veggies completely. We prefer vodka because it pulls out more of the medicinal qualities, it makes the mucous membranes in the mouth more permeable, so the tincture can enter the bloodstream more effectively, increases the shelf life of the tincture and has a higher alcohol content (the higher the content, the better it works).

4. Seal your jar, date it, and let it sit in a dark cupboard at room temperature for at least 14 days. (We’ve let ours sit 30 plus days and it’s been just fine.) The longer it sits, the more nutrients the vodka will pull out. Shake the jar several times every day.

5. When you’re ready to use it, strain out the vegetables and pour the liquid (now called a tincture) into a tincture bottle. Label it and keep it in a dark cupboard.

How to Take Pepper Juice

As cold and flu season comes upon you, take a dropper full every couple days to keep your immune system up. If there’s something ‘going around’, increase it to every day and even a few times each day. At the slightest scratchy throat, funny feeling, or sniffle I wouldn’t recommend anything less than 3-4 times a day or more.

We give Pepper Juice to our five children (ages 14 to 2 1/2) by first letting them get a mouthful of water and then squirting it into their mouths. They swish it around and swallow it with a glass of water. Then we usually let them have a healthy snack to help with any remaining heat.

The littler they are, the less they get. The oldest three get a full dropper (measures out to 1/4th teaspoon). Our five year old only gets 1/3 of a dropper and the 2 1/2 year old only gets about 5 drops. There’s no set rule and it’s not going to hurt them, but it is hot and we’d rather they be willing to take a little at a time instead of running and hiding when they see us reaching for the bottle. :)

How Well Does It Work?

A friend of mine shared this recipe with me, and in the three years my family has used it, we’ve come through some of the worst cold and flu seasons with nothing but minor complaints. And I’m talking the all out week long flu where you’re in the bathroom for two reasons.

A few years ago we got together with twenty-three extended family members for Christmas. My niece wasn’t feeling good when she arrived and as soon as we knew about it, my husband and I (and the kids) took Pepper Juice several times a day for the entire weekend.

No one in the extended family was brave enough to try it.

After arriving home again, we found out that EVERYONE else was starting to come down with the flu. It ended up being a doozy too – the week-long vomiting, diarrhea, and I’m-gonna-die kind of flu. Our family continued to take the Pepper Juice. I felt kind of ‘blah’ one day, but other than that, we passed with flying colors.

So now we come to the crux of the matter. Flu season is almost over for this year – but what are you going to do next year? The flu shot? Or a shot of Pepper Juice?

Raising Healthy Familiesread more about PRM here

Note: This series is designed as a fun and informative compilation to help you and your family thrive. Each post is the opinion of that particular blogger, not necessarily mine or Positively Real Media’s.

photo credit:
Carlos Porto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Simon Howden / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Maggie Smith / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I’m Paula - like many of you I wear a lot of hats. Child of God, wife of 19 years, mother of 5 earthly children (and another on the way), reluctant cook, chocolate-snatcher, and health and fitness coach at PaulaMillerFitness.com. Various family health issues including Lyme disease and candida has turned me into a 'researcher' with a passion for understanding how our God-created bodies thrive or deteriorate based on what we put in it.

Latest posts by Paula (see all)

“”

Comments

1. Amy says

I’m a bit concerned that you’re giving so much health info when you don’t seem to understand that a flu shot is for respiratory flu, not stomach flu, which are two completely different things…

Hi Amy,

Thanks for mentioning this.

I do understand that the flu shot is for a respiratory flu – the information and statistics I gave from the CDC is correct. That’s why Pepper Juice is so affective against it – especially the garlic and onion it contains.

I can see where someone could get confused though – especially when I shared my Christmas story. I apologize if I sounded misleading.

We’ve used Pepper Juice for all kinds of flus, colds, sore throats, etc. but that was one particular case that I was dually impressed by how well it worked and wanted to share. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

• Keri says

The above comment addresses my thoughts as well. Stomach and intestinal “flu” is not really the flu at all. It is a stomach or intestinal virus. Influenza is a respiratory illness. That is what the flu shot is for.

All that being said, I don’t do the flu shot either. :)

2. Tasha says

It can be frustrating when the business you work for decides you have to take the flu shot. Or, let me rephrase that: I can choose NOT to get the flu shot, however, they can choose NOT to employ me during an ourbreak–even if I have no patient/public contact. I will not have anyone else in my family get that shot though!

3. Steve says

I could not find the articles you cited as evidence. Please put the names of the article because your figures are insanely wrong! Look at the CDC’s actual estimate of annual flu related deaths in the US before you make the claim of “only a few hundred.” It’s actually closer to 20,000 on average.
    Guillain-Barre was associated with the flu shot in 1976. That year, immunized people had a 1 in 100,000 increase in the chance of developing Guillain-Barre. So yes, 35 years ago, for only one year, if you got the flu shot you had a 1 in 100,000 chance of developing a rare complication. It was a bad batch of vaccine and since that year standards have become more strict to prevent future GB cases.

I applaud your effort to get people to eat better and live healthier lifestyles, but this article WILL GET PEOPLE KILLED! If you are an at risk population, GET A FLU SHOT! It can save your life!

I use all of these ingredients for fighting flu and cold but never even thought to make a tincture! Such a great idea and I will definitely be doing this.

Hi Heather,

If you use vodka, the shelf life is pretty much forever. :) Some prefer to use apple cider vinegar instead of vodka, but that makes the shelf life decrease to 2 years and ACV doesn’t pull out as much of the healing qualities as vodka does.

Hope that helps. :)

5. Rachelle says

Thanks! I was looking for flu shot alternatives this Fall and came across colostrum. Been using it with my 5 & 2 year olds, no sickness accept for the 5 year old had pink eye on Jan 2. I actually used a mix of the colostrum and manuka honey to treat it. She never complained once about her eye after the first application. Never had to call the Doctor, it was gone as fast as it came on!

New to your site. Appreciate the info and would love any feed back on colostrum…

We use colostrum sometimes too, however I haven’t had time to put together a good researched article on it. :( If anyone else has some good info to share, please jump in!

Hi Pam,

The shelf life of vodka is almost indefinite, so the tincture is good for a LONG time. We’ve never had it around that long though! If you use apple cider vinegar instead of vodka it will only last about 2 years.

I LOVE researching natural remedies, and this one sounds great! I wish I had known about it 3 weeks ago when I was stuck in bed for almost 2 weeks. I am most definitely saving this recipe. Great for a newbie like myself!

7. Tess says

Thank you sooooo much for this “recipe”!! I use to take “CiderPepper” blend every day… but had lost the recipe… this stirred the memory & will be making!!! And sharing with daughters & their families!!! Hot peppers are truly God’s gift for the immune system… I use echinacea as well!!

8. Ro says

This is actually more than just a boost to the immune system, but also helps to release viruses that are already on the verge. In TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), we use herbs that do what is known as “releasing the exterior.” This allows pores to open (hence foods such as garlic, peppers, onions) and takes toxins out through the sweat glands. I use a different mixture for my family but it’s the same concept. We also eat a lot of garlic, onions and ginger naturally in our diet. My son is the only one in his class who did NOT get the flu, and we never get flu shots.

9. susan says

thank you so much. i do not believe in vaccines and so was tickled to see this. at tge first sign of ickiness i usually take lycine. and for flu take occilliococcium. but will be making this up.you can never have too much help.
    since the flu season is almost over do you recommend waiting until next fall to make?

• Ro says

In all honestly, vaccines can be helpful for the VERY young and very old immunocompromised individuals. However, those of us who believe in preventative medicine, eating right and taking care of ourselves usually don’t NEED vaccines because we have figured out how to build the immune system. As for advice from a TCM perspective, EVERY individual is different. Therefore, each formula recommended would be different for each individual depending on certain factors (i.e. age, diet, sleep deprivation, past medical history, etc.). In our medicine, there is no such thing as a “one herb fits all” prescription. If your family tends to get a lot of colds, some would say milk or dairy products should not be part of the diet (that’s just one example). Make sense? As a mom, you usually know what is best! Eat right, get sleep, exercise, (and throw in some acupuncture…a little plug for a beautiful modality that works) and you’re golden! :)

• anonymous says

Vaccines are specifically more dangerous for the young ,old and immocrompromised individuals. Even vaccines labels often mention this, and that is why doctor assessment is recommend.

10. Rebekah says

This really does work. We’ve been making this for years. This year, I(mommy) did not take it when I felt a bug coming on and ended up on a four day flu bedrest. My kids took it immediately and passed over that flu with barely a sniffle and a day of extra naps. My husband took large doses and never gor sick at all. This is so worth taking! It is not an opd wives tale or a maybe. It works every single time.

• Kim says

Hello Paula,
        In this paragraph “The amount of alcohol in the average dose of tincture is equal to the alcohol in a ripe banana. If you’re still concerned about the alcohol, you can place the tincture in a cup, pour boiling water over it, and the alcohol will evaporate within seconds.”
        I’m not understanding how to pour boiking water over the tincture if the tincture is liquid.
        I love your site & I have learned sooo much, you have been like a really goid friend living next door….Thank you so much….

Kim, sorry it took me so long to reply! What I meant by that statement is that you could put a dropperful of tincture in a coffee cup, pour boiling water in there, and let it sit before drinking it. Does that make sense?

11. Candace says

I was just wondering: would this be safe for pregnant women to take? I have several pregnant friends and I think this would be a much better thing to take during pregnancy than a flu shot.