Making Simple Sauerkraut

making simple sauerkraut fermented recipesIf you had asked me five years ago if I’d ever eaten sauerkraut, I would have wrinkled my nose and said, “NEVER!” And if I’d never eaten it, you could bet your boots I’d never made it!

My first recollection of sauerkraut was as a young teenager visiting a friend’s house. We walked in the front door and were assailed by a smell that could make your eyes water. When I asked her what it was she shrugged, “Mom’s making sauerkraut.”

For the next 20 years I steered clear of sauerkraut like it was the plague. (Gasp! Did I just say 20 years!)

Up until a few years ago, I never thought I’d give it another look. Yet here I am, bringing you a recipe and secretly planning several paragraphs of well-written research to convince you to try it for yourself. :) If the information I discovered could change my mind, surely it has the chance of changing yours. Right?

So without further ado, I’ll begin my compelling and persuasive argument. . . ;)

But to read it, you’ll have to hop over to Hidden Treasures where I’m guest posting the rest of this article with pictures and directions.

Hidden Treasures is about all things domestic, from raising healthy food & obedient children, to housework and home remedies! Their goal is to become TREASURES that are HIDDEN with Christ in God! I know you’ll enjoy the treasures you find there.

Shared With: Healthy Home Economist, Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, Flour Me With Love, Nourishing Treasures, New Life on a Homestead, Chef in Training, Time-Warp Wife, Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free, Far Above Rubies, Vintage Wanna Bee, Real Food Forager, Adventurez in Child-Rearing, Pickle Me Too, Growing Home, Real Food Allergy Free, Women Living Well, Frugally Sustainable, The Gluten-Free Homemaker, Deep Roots at Home, Day2Day Joys, Raising Homemakers, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Whole Lifestyle Nutrition, The Greenbacks Gal, Our Simple Country Life, GNOWFGLINS, The Nourishing Gourmet, Christian Creative Mama, Comfy in the Kitchen, Jill’s Home Remedies, Real Food Freaks, Real Food Whole Health, Food Renegade,

Miracle

Comments

I love sauerkraut, but I struggle to find ways to eat it. Love a Reuben, but being grain-free right now rules that out (don’t think coconut or almond flour bread would do the trick). :) Suggestions?

I’d love to give you a long list, but alas, I’m pretty plain-Jane when it comes to sauerkraut. I usually top off several bites of steak with it or just eat it plain, like coleslaw. It’s meant to be eaten as more of a condiment than a ‘serving size’ so I just add a few spoonfuls to my plate every now and again.

Maybe one of my dear readers will have a much better idea!

2. Chrissy says

I have a question about your saurkraut. I see you have it in those jars that seal. I have read books about fermenting that say you only have to make sure that the cabbage is under the brine weighed down. I guess I was thinking they needed air. Yesterday however on another site I read that air is bad and that they should be kept airtight if possible. I’m not sure who is right. Not only that but using the type of jars in the picture do you open it daily to let the gas out? Wouldn’t it build up in a sealed container?

3. Margaret says

Hi, I have a few questions about a few foods. I’ve been on many sites and I am very confused! Some say it’s ok to have full fat sour cream and cream cheese. Others say No! Some say nuts are ok others say no cashews or other nuts due to mold. Some say absolutely no beans or any legumes or grains. I need to know cause I am so sick and am trying get rid of heavy metals at the same time. I really need to know. Please respond. The last site I was on said all other sites are giving bad advice and that theirs was the way to fight this horrible life taker. I really need to know what is safe so I don’t make myself worse. they also said you can’t beat it without certain natural medication and gave a run down on bad and good. Unfortunately most were very expensive and I am not able to purchase all of them as your talking well over $100.00 Thanks for any help,
    Maggie

4. Margaret says

Hi, I have a few questions about a few foods. I’ve been on many sites and I am very confused! Some say it’s ok to have full fat sour cream and cream cheese. Others say No! Some say nuts are ok others say no cashews or other nuts due to mold. Some say absolutely no beans or any legumes or grains. I need to know cause I am so sick and am trying get rid of heavy metals at the same time. I really need to know. Please respond. The last site I was on said all other sites are giving bad advice and that theirs was the way to fight this horrible life taker. I really need to know what is safe so I don’t make myself worse. It’s also said you can’t beat it without certain natural medication and gave a run down on bad and good one. Some did look great. Unfortunately most were very expensive and I am not able to purchase all of them as your talking well over $100.00 Thanks for any help,
    Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I’m assuming you’re asking what’s allowed/not allowed on a candida diet. I ran into the same problem – various websites that all allowed different foods – what one said was approved, another said it wasn’t. It’s really confusing and hard to know what’s best – especially when your in the middle of a battle for your health.

I was in the midst of this conundrum when I meet Dr. Bakker. Although we’ve never met in person, I was relieved to chat with a naturopath who has over two decades of experience in treating candida patients. His book, Candida Crusher, is a wealth of information.

His experience made him create a 3-Stage candida diet, and because of the results he’s seen in his patients, I’ve decided that his diet is the plan I follow and suggest.

It’s also true that probiotics and other natural herbs are important in fighting candida. Dr. Bakker says that 80% of the battle is by following the diet, and 20% is by the herbs and healthy probiotics you take to build up good gut bacteria. Here’s a helpful list of herbs to get you started.