Chocolate Coconut Cubes (Candida Diet Allowed)

Desserts are yummy. Delicious. Addictive. And often our Achilles heal. And trying to cut them out out or give them up is not easy. I speak from experience! It doesn’t matter if you’re doing it to lose weight, to avoid sugars and other processed ingredients, or to battle that often misdiagnosed issue of candida. It’s just plain hard to forgo that sweet tooth!

It’s an ongoing battle really. It’s not like you can simply wake up one day and never have a craving for something sweet again. For me, the answer has been two-fold.

• Spending time reading God’s word and studying the words ‘glutton’ or ‘honey’ (the sugar of Biblical times). This has been an eye opener for me.

It is not good to eat much honey; so to seek one’s own glory is not glory.
Whoever has no rule over his own spirit is like a city broken down, without walls. Proverbs 25: 27-28

• Finding healthy desserts. Were those two words in the same sentence? Healthy and dessert?

To tell you the truth, there’s not a lot of desserts out there I would consider healthy, or even remotely allowed for someone on a restricted (but VERY healthy) diet like the candida diet. My good friend Sarah and I put together a cookbook just for that purpose!

TSSC Large Square 300x300

But one of my all-time favorite recipes calls for two of my favorite ingredients: coconut and chocolate.

I’m sharing this recipe for a dear reader who shared with me her personal story/struggle with candida. Toward the end of her email she nearly broke my heart by saying,“after I seen your recipe on Ice Cream, I wanted to cry. LOL – I know it might seem odd but I just wanted to thank you for giving me hope.”

I can so easily remember that same thrill! To find a recipe that’s allowed, delicious, and healthy is like finding a needle in a haystack. So, S.H., these little gems are for you!

Coconut Chocolate Cubes (casein-free, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free, yeast-free, anti-candida, low-carb)
makes about 32 servings (1 Tablespoon each serving)

1 1/2 c. coconut oil
1 c. cacao powder
1 t. vanilla (or to taste)
1 t. stevia (or to taste)

1. Melt the coconut oil in a small sauce pan.

2. Add cacao powder and stir until dissolved.

3. Add vanilla and stevia to taste – just a little at a time will suffice – too much and it will start to taste bitter.

4. Measure one Tablespoon into each square of an ice cube tray and freeze. (You can also freeze it in a 9×13 pan and simply break into pieces.)

5. After about 1 hr. you can twist the trays and they’ll pop out just like ice cubes. Store in refrigerator or freezer (they don’t freeze completely solid).

We enjoy eating these with a handful of almonds. We’ve also had fun dropping an almond into each square of the ice cube tray for a nice surprise when you bite into it.

Makes about 32 squares (if measuring 1 Tablespoon into each ice cube tray square). Each square is 0.62g of net carbs.

P.S. What’s your preference? With almonds or without?

Shared With: Flour Me With Love, Healthy Home Economist, Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, The Prairie Homestead, Nourishing Treasures, Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, Real Food Forager, Time-Warp Wife, Young Living Oil Lady, Delicious Obsessions, Far Above Rubies, Vintage Wanna Bee, Growing Home, Whole New Mom, Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers, Frugally Sustainable, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, The King’s Court, Gluten-Free HomemakerThis Chick Cooks, Deep Roots at Home, Day2Day Joys, GNOWFGLINS, The Greenbacks Gal, Our Simple Country Life, The Nourishing Gourmet, Your Thriving Family, Comfy in the Kitchen, Jill’s Home Remedies, Real Food Freaks, Food Renegade,

Cloth Diaper Guide

Comments

I haven’t tried this with almonds! Howver, I regularly make these with almond butter mixed in. They definitely have to stay frozen b/c they are quite melty – but it’s great to have something a bit decadent that I can actually eat!

Hi Sabrina,

I don’t know how Anjanette does it, but we regularly add almond butter when we want it more ‘fudgy’. I use a food processor to make the nuts into butter and then we add 1 cup of the almond butter to the recipe. Stir it in and pour into the trays as directed.

We actually make it with the almond butter more often than this recipe – I just haven’t gotten around to posting about it. :)

2. Theresa P. says

This recipe sounds great! very few ingredients needed. and healthy and who doesn’t love chocolate! Thanks, for sharing.

• Cyndee says

I am on a strict candida diet and in place of vanilla I use French Vanilla Stevia. I was also wondering if you’ve ever used Walden Farms products? I just bought their liquid chocolate and I think I’m going to try these with it!

I don’t mean to rain on your parade Cyndee, but no, I’ve never used Walden Farms products. Their ingredients look far better than anything on the store shelf, but they use sucralose (Splenda) in everything.

I’ve read enough documents about Splenda to make me wary. . .

• Cyndee says

hmmmm, well that is good to know. I haven’t heard anything bad about Splenda, but I know it is still not recommended for the 100% strict candida diet. Stevia being the only one. Thanks Paula!

I keep saying that I am going to buy ice cube trays for great ideas like this one, but I never seem to remember when I’m out. However, this recipe might make me want to remember! :) YUM!

4. Kenna says

Do you use liquid or powdered stevia? I’m not really sure of the difference. Can you substitute 1:1 (liquid v powder)?

Can’t wait to try these!

Kenna –
      I’ve actually used both. I use powdered in the recipe.

I have used liquid flavored stevia in these before, but it seemed like the stevia settled to the bottom of the cube – there was always a very powerful flavor of it along the bottom – too much so.

The powdered stevia seems more evenly disbursed so that’s what I’ve stuck with.

Thanks for popping in!

5. Judy Marg says

This sounds so much like what I’ve been looking for…only to do with carob powder, since I don’t eat chocolate. Has anyone tried doing this or something similar with carob powder?

No, there isn’t any separation of the cocao (or cocoa when I’ve used that) and the coconut.

This batch pictured does have the tiniest layer of coconut film on top – not sure why it did for this batch – it was so minute we couldn’t even tell when we were eating them.

We make these about once a week (seriously) and that rarely if ever happens. I just make sure to give it a good stir every once in awhile while I’m filling the ice cube trays.

Hi Sabrina,

I’ve used both liquid and powdered. For some reason the liquid seems to settle on the bottom so you get a real strong taste if you lick the bottom of the cube LOL.

I’ve come to prefer the powdered form, it seems to dissolve better. I absolutely recommend Stevita Spoonable Stevia – much better than Truvia or the cheap brands you can buy at your local Wal-Marts or grocery stores.

6. Sabrina says

Thanks Paula, I just got this…. and Yes, I am so grateful. Not just for the yummy desserts but for your kind and giving heart. God bless. I cannot wait to try these.

7. Michelle says

Have you ever used xylitol as a sweetener in these? I just made them today with my packets of stevia, and they are tasty. Just wondering if xylitol is an acceptable substitute.

Hi there Michelle, thanks for stopping by.

I’ve never used xylitol in these, though I suspect it would work just fine as it simply needs to dissolve – the sweetner (stevia) I add doesn’t have any other effect than making it sweet – it doesn’t disturb the composition of the cubes at all whether it’s in there or not. My guess is it would be the same with xylitol.

That being said, I’ve never used it as doesn’t seem as healthy a sugar substitute as some would have you believe. Articles like this one make me steer clear: http://www.naturalnews.com/022986_xylitol_health_sugar.html

• Deborah says

I have used Xylitol and Stevia. Xylitol is much harder to disolve so if you used it in this recipe, it might be gritty. My Mom and I have made chocolate before by melting unsweetened chocolate squares (baker’s chocolate) and stirring in stevia and xylitoll, so i know this from experience. I can’t wait to try this recipe, Paula. Thank you!

8. Deborah says

Paula, I made this chocolate and it was amazing!!! Thank you!!! I did add a little xylitol to it since it was hot, it disolved and actually, I liked sprinkling a little on the outside of it, when it was done to make it sweeter. I didn’t book mark this recipe and then tonight when i wanted to make it again, had to search through my emails (because I had forwarded the link to a friend). Thankfully, I found it and will write it down this time!!!!! Thank you!!
    Debbie

So glad you found us again Debbie – and so glad you liked them! They are definitely our family’s go-to snack. And being that they’re so healthy, I don’t mind a bit!

My sister-n-law sent me this recipe from your site, I tried it and it took just a bit to get the stevia portion just right but I so appreciate it for a little treat. I signed up for your updates. I just began a new way of eating to rid me of candida and your site is pretty awesome. I reference your blog in my post I wrote about these candies, hope you don’t mind.

Hi! The chocolate coconut cubes look delicious! I am a coconut lover too! I am a new blogger, blogging on faith and food :) Just wanted to say hi and nice to meet you! This would be a fun, easy, delicious one to get the kids in on!

Hi Candace!

Welcome to Whole Intentions and to blogging!

The coconut cubes are easy – my older boys (14, 12, 8) make them regularly for the family. I don’t think they even look at the recipe anymore – it’s memorized!

I’ve used both liquid and powdered. I’ve noticed though, that the liquid seems to settle on the bottom so I prefer the powdered form. I absolutely love Stevita Spoonable Stevia

11. Olivia says

That is a brilliant recipe. I just was 3 months strict on the diet and failed now on Christmas to keep up with it and ate chocolate. I should have done these before. Now I have to start again :/ but I was wondering about the cocoa powder. I thought it’s not allowed because the coffeine in it? I would love to use cocoa but bought carob instead but carob doesn’t taste as nice.

Olivia

Hi Olivia,

I started out using cocoa and then switched to raw cacao. I don’t think either are ‘technically’ legal. But there are a few tiny areas I allow myself to not be 100% strict – like this one – or I’d never be able to stick with it. :)

And don’t feel like Christmas will put you back to square one. It’s like exercising and eating healthy – those three months did do something for you. You were fighting candida!

You faltered (we all do that!), so you pick yourself up and keep truckin’.

Don’t get me wrong, a few days of bad eating isn’t encouraged while on this diet, but you certainly didn’t erase those last three months of hard work.

Keep on going, girl!

12. Olivia says

Oh and my mum has a stevia plant. That is a really good thing. Will order plants for myself after Christmas and work with them. I somehow don’t trust the processed stevia products in the shops.
    There should be def more help on the market for candida sufferers. I’m glad I found you here :)

13. laura says

Hi, I’m new to this diet, and need recipes. But I just really dont like the taste of stevia.
    (maybe I havent learned how to use it right) but is there anything else I can use?

Hi Laura,

If you really want to follow a candida diet, I’d suggest giving stevia another try. We like Stevita Stevia, but I’ve also heard others who really like NuNaturals. If you get too much stevia (depending on the brand) it can taste a little bitter. If you’re following a recipe that calls for stevia, I’d suggest putting in a little, taste-testing, maybe adding more, taste-testing. . . and finding out how much you need for your particular taste. For instance, I’ve found I need twice as much Truvia to make the same sweetness as Stevita Stevia.

14. Jennifer says

Found your site and love it. I follow the Phase I Anti-fungal diet from Doug Kaufmann, http://www.knowthecause.com. For almost 40 years he has been trying to educate people on the fungus link to most health problems. When on Phase I, which is to kill the fungus, he only allows xylitol and stevia. He warns to ensure your stevia (especially the powdered) does not contain any sweetners like malitol and dextrol, etc. Anyways, I suggest his site (and cookbook) for learning about the fungus link to health problems and great recipes. Another great site is http://www.eatingwithpurpose.com by Kristin Kons. She is a frequent guest on Know the Cause. Both are Believers!

Thanks for passing this on Jennifer. I was just looking at a stevia brand called NuNaturals and was surprised to see maltodextrin in some of their lines. Buyer beware!

Thanks for the other sites too. It’s great to have several good resources!

15. Kelly A says

Hi, I was recently put on a yeast free/sugar free diet and I was excited to find this recipe. This recipe has made me SUPER nauseous and I just threw up some of the chocolate. I will definitely not be making them again :( did anyone else have this happen?

Kelly,

My guess is that you took too much too soon.

Coconut oil is an anti fungal. Most people do not have a problem with it. . .unless they’re dealing with severe candida. My husband took too much when we first started eating it and it made him sick also.

As with anything thing, take just a little bit at a time and ease into it. Let your body get used to it or it’s too overwhelming. Also, killing candida or yeast off too fast can also be hard on your system, especially if you have a severe case. Start out slowly, just a few nibbles if needed, and gradually increase every few days as you can.

16. Candy S says

I can’t wait to try this – re Walden Farms products – I bought the Peanut Spread and it was awful – then I read the ingredients and it had Splenda as well as different food colors, sodium benzoate, to preserve it. It tasted so bad that my husband, who likes everything under the sun, had to spit it out. I never even thought about chopping almonds in my food processor. I’m really excited because this is easy.

17. Lauren says

I just made these an hour ago and tried one…..
    SO GOOD! better than i thought it would be, and better than the ice cream recipe :)
    the almond really is a nice salty crunch, and i feel like im eating real chocolate (or evil sugary candida-inspiring chocolate i should say since the cocoa IS real chocolate) deffinately my favorite new dessert :) thank you very much! most satisfaction i’ve had in months <3

18. Bonny says

Oh, wow! Thank you so much for this recipe!! I left out the vanilla and bumped up the stevia (personal preference) and they were so YUM!! I tried a few of them with high-quality (ingestible) wild orange oil and boy oh boy…can’t wait to experiment some more! Perhaps peppermint oil next!!

19. kristin gregory says

I am sooo grateful for your site!! What a blessing! I am cannot wait to try your ice cream and chocolate coco cube recipes!!!

And I’m so glad you’re here! :) Let me know what you think of the recipes – after several years of many, many recipes, they’re still two of our favorites!

Will the vanilla be enough to. . .sweeten it? The vanilla will definitely change the flavor, but you might want to add xylitol or honey (if your candida is minimal and you’re on the last stage of the diet).

20. Angie says

My stevia says 1/8 teaspoon =1teaspoon of sugar. 2 tablespoons = 1 cup of sugar. Is that comparing to sweetness? I am confused

Yes, those measurements mean that 2 Tbs. stevia will give the same sweetness as 1 c. of sugar.

Be careful when you read recipes like mine or others that contain stevia because some brands of stevia are stronger than others.

My suggestion would be to add just a bit at a time until it gets to the sweetness you like, then make note of it on your recipe. :)