Low-Carb, Grain-Free, Sugar-Free Coconut Macaroon Cookies

Coconut and Chocolate Macaroons

When Travis and I began to understand just what candida is, how it wreaks havoc in our bodies, how vitally important a good diet is in eliminating the devastating little fungus, and how being rid of it would make us feel like singing in the rain. . .we started whining.

“What? No more bread? No more watermelon? No more cookies?”

But, like any dietary change, whether you’re going gluten-free, carb-free, rhubarb-free, or Skittle-free, there are adjustments to make and new worlds to conquer in the kitchen.

It’s challenges like these that make very creative and talented people come up with new recipes like this one.

No, I’m not one of them (that’s what I want to be when I grow up). The only credit I can take for this recipe is that my fingers typed the words in Google search. And. . .I clicked the mouse. Ugh. I’m such a wannabee!

The real credit goes to Lisa over at The Prudent Wife. These cookies are grain-free and made with simple, safe ingredients.

Oh, one more note. I label these as nut-free, even with coconut oil in them, because technically coconuts aren’t nuts. Confused?

You see, the FDA mandates (don’t they always) that coconuts are considered a tree nut for labeling purposes even though they’re really a fruit.

Now I wonder why the FDA would lump a healthy fruit like coconut in with tree nuts which are among the top eight allergens. The folks over at the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network tell us that coconut allergies are exceedingly rare; fewer than 10 reported cases.

I mean, the FDA certainly wouldn’t want to give people the impression they should avoid a healthy, lauric acid-filled, antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal oil that enhances the immune system, would they?

Naaaaahhhhh.

Go ahead and enjoy these delicious little cookies which you can indulge in on any diet.

Coconut Macaroons (casein-free, gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free, yeast-free, low-carb)

3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (make sure you use unsweetened flakes or the recipe won’t be sugar-free)
1/4 cup plus 2 T warm water
1/4 cup plus 2 T coconut oil
3 droppers of liquid stevia*
3 eggs, beaten
optional: 1/3 c. cocao powder (to make chocolate cookies – may need to up the stevia as cocao is bitter.)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, combine the coconut flakes with the warm water and melted oil. Stir well, completely saturating the coconut flakes.

3. In a small bowl combine the eggs with the stevia and mix thoroughly. Pour the egg mixture into coconut flake mixture and stir well.

*(You can use 3 droppers of a flavored liquid stevia or plain liquid stevia. You can also replace the liquid variety with granular stevia, to taste. If you use a plain liquid or granular stevia, you can add 3 tsp. vanilla, almond, or other extract of your choosing.)

4. With a small scoop, drop each cookie onto an ungreased cookie sheet, or baking stone. We alternately flatten them a bit with our fingers or just leave them in the ball shape.

5. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

6. Let the cookies cool before removing from the pan. These freeze well. (We freeze ours in gallon zipper bags and eat them straight from the freezer.)

Makes 22 cookies. These little gems are only 0.84g of net carbs each!

Have fun playing with different flavors! We’ve even added cacao for a certain person in the house who LOVES chocolate and. . .

Oh, wow.

Look at the time! I had no idea it was so late.

I gotta go now. Um, I think the freezer needs rearranged. Yeah. That’s right. Rearranged.

I’ll catch you all later. . .

Comments

1. Jenifer Harrod says

I'm so glad I found your site. You have great recipes and info. My husband can't eat any sugar without getting a violent sinus infection. I love any recipes that I can find without sugar. These look great with the coconut. Yummm

2. Debbie says

These cookies look good. Question? Are they delicate to the touch? They look like they would just fall apart. I am not saying that is bad. I would just like to know.

Hi Debbie,

Here's my long explanation :)

If you drop them by the scoop and don't flatten them out, they don't crumble.

If you flatten them out as I did in the photos, they will stay together unless they are jostled about too much. For example, my husband takes them to work in his lunch pail/cooler with no problem. If I were to give them to the kids to take somewhere in a bag or backpack, I'd probably put them in a container.

I tend to make my two year old sit at the table to eat these as she likes to pull cookies apart :) They do break easier then say, a firm chocolate chip cookie. And because they are all coconut flakes, the flakes tend to make more of a mess when the kids eat them.

But, they don't crumble because you breathe on them like a lot of gluten-free cookies do.

Am I making any sense?

4. NizhoniWolf says

Paula, you are a wonderful woman that has quite frankly stopped me from having a emotional breakdown!

I've suffered from candida for several years now, but due to being young and ignorant (26) I didn't really take it all that seriously…. and now I'm really starting to suffer for it. Your witty, brilliant, insightful posts (especially your candida safe recipes) has given me new hope, and thank you from the bottom of my heart! My boyfriend also thanks you, as with each recipe, I grow less and less depressed about my issue (…being that I have a big sweet tooth… and not forgetting this is Easter!)

Keep these wonderful posts coming!
    Bonnie
    Xx

Aww Bonnie, your such a sweetie! Thank you for such kind words – you made my day!

I know exactly which sweet tooth you're talking about because I have the same one!

I'll share a confession: After Travis and I started this diet, I seriously tried to talk him out of continuing it at least 2 or 3 times. I just wanted to sit down and howl, "It's not fair! Nobody else has to eat like this! They can eat whatever they want and feel fine – why can't we?"

But my wonderful, dedicated husband wanted to keep trying even though neither of us were seeing a big change in how we felt. (His symptoms were worse than mine so that made me feel even guiltier.)

I grudgingly kept on going and discovered, to my delight, that there are amazing recipes out there that are delicious and totally safe! I mean who would have ever thought oil, butter, and raw eggs would make delicious candida-diet safe ice cream?

But, I digress (frequently). After about nine months on the diet Travis started noticing dramatic changes in how he felt. My minor symptoms were improving too, but his were very noticeable. We've spent years and thousands of dollars on treatments that haven't improved him as much as this diet.

And that's all we needed to know to keep going. I won't lie, it's not easy. But in the end, it's sooo worth it.

Keep on trucking, Bonnie. You can do this – and if you ever have questions or need a long distance hug, just say the word. :)

6. Carrie @ young living oil lady says

Great recipe and great photos! I like the 'not on fire' one! Thanks so much for sharing your recipes with us at Kids in the Kitchen. Have a blessed week!

7. Ashley says

I just stopped eating gluten and have been looking for grain free recipes! These look so good! Thank you for sharing!

8. Jen says

These sound yummy. Been wanting to make macaroons for a while now. I also love the idea of using the foil to keep the bottom of the oven clean — genius. :)

9. Johnlyn ~ Frugality and Homemaking says

I really need to buy some stevia. The last time I tried it, it was nasty (I just used a tiny bit.)

I think I need to try a different brand. Thanks for posting this. I have everything I need except stevia!

10. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures says

11. Maria says

Paula,

You are truly amazing! I’ve only been doing this diet for five weeks but your ideas have helps me mix things up and keep it exciting. This is one of the toughest things I’ve ever done but I am doing it so my family and I can become healthier individuals inside and out! Thank you for your commitment to those fighting candida! I’m your newest favorite fan!

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your kind words. I wish I could take credit for most of these recipes, but alas, I’m just sharing some I’ve come across and can tweak for candida.

Food is an amazing blessing/battle isn’t it! Keep on keeping on – it’s so worth it!

12. Img says

A fab recipe!!!
    Could you please tell more about adding cocoa? How much? I am a hopeless chocolate fan, and would like to make chocolate macaroons.

I use 1/3 c. cocao powder when I make them chocolate. You might have to add a bit more stevia because the cocao is a little bitter.