Bathroom Exercises?

I’m not a big one for New Year’s Resolutions. Most resolutions are broken by January 2nd.

You start out with a good plan. “I’m going to exercise 7 days a week for 1 hour a day.”

That usually lasts for about 2.5 days before you’ve decided your crazy. Or, if you do stick with it for several months, you end up getting burnt out and give up. Before you know it, it’s taken you a year to talk yourself into it again.

This was my story. Until I gave up all New Year’s/spring/4th of July/first-of-the-month resolutions and just started.

Even if you have to start with baby steps, ANY type of exercise is better than nothing.

One of my favorite baby steps is something I call bathroom exercises.

Sounds weird, I know. But bear with me. :)

The idea is to pick a room in your house that you go into several times a day. Each time you go into that room, do an exercise. When I first heard this idea I picked my kitchen. After all, I’m the cook.

Did you know there are about 101 ways you can totally avoid your kitchen in the span of a day and still feed your family?

After being honest with myself and giving it more thought, I settled on the bathroom. I mean, it’s pretty hard to completely avoid that room for life. Eventually, you have to go in there.

I varied between several high intensity body weight exercises: push ups, lunges, running in place, etc. Sometimes I did five reps, sometimes ten, sometimes thirty – depending on the exercise.

The important part is to do that exercise until you’re out of breath (I mean really out of breath – no cheating!) or until you can’t do anymore.

I’ve squatted in the bathroom stall at Wal-Mart. I’ve done pushups in my sister’s bathroom. I’ve lunged until my legs felt like jello. It all works. Lately I’ve been jumping rope.

I started out slowly – about 50 before I had to stop – and gradually increased to 200 jump ropes of varying styles. If I used the bathroom even five times a day, I’d completed 1,000 jump ropes.

Do you know what 1,000 jump ropes a day can do for you! Think of all the muscles you’re calling into action each time you jump. Arms, legs, stomach, lower back. . . It’s great!

The best part of all this is that it’s so flexible. Maybe you don’t have a jump rope or your bathroom is too small. Choose an exercise you can do in what space you have. A jumping jack doesn’t take more than about 4 feet of space. You might be concerned that your neighbors below you would complain. Squatting or doing pushups isn’t any louder than your breathing.

Pick an exercise you’re comfortable with and start.

Today.

You don’t need to spend an hour a day at the gym. You don’t need to find a sitter each time you want to run. That just gives you an easy excuse to put it off for another day.

Remember, ANY exercise is better than none. Don’t wait for the New Year. Don’t wait for Monday, or the first of the month, or your 30th birthday, or. . .just start with baby steps and a bathroom.

The more water you drink, the better. ;)

P.S. What are your favorite bathroom exercises?

Shared with: Healthy Home Economist, The Prairie Homestead, Motivate Me Monday, DIY Home Sweet Home, 11th Heaven’s Homemaking Haven, Skip To My Lou, Hartke is Online, Home Savvy A to Z, Time-Warp Wife, Chef In Training, Tip Junkie, Vintage Wannabee, Permanent Posies, Hope Studios, Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mommy, Rook No. 17, Juliecache, Above Rubies, Women Living Well, Blue Cricket Designs, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, We Are That Family, The Thrifty Home, Raising Homemakers, Milk and Cuddles, Live Renewed, Nourishing Gourmet, A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa, Real Food Whole Health, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Simply Sweet Home, Life As Mom, Thirty Handmade Days, Crumbs & Chaos, Celebrating Family, Raising Mighty Arrows, Our Simple Country Life, Country Momma Cooks, Little Natural Cottage, Growing Home, Deep Roots at Home, Our Simple Farm, Christian Mommy Blogger,

photo credit:

Latest posts by Paula (see all)

Comments

1. Amy says

That's awesome — I started doing that a couple of weeks ago. Nearly every time I go to the bathroom I do 10 push ups. I do 40 or 50 push ups a day! It's funny how you start looking at different spots you could drop and do 10!
    Anyway, loved reading this, I thought I was alone with my weird (put practical) idea.

Not weird, Amy, but very, very effective. If you'd try to do 40-50 pushups at a time you'd (or at least I) would fall on my face. But breaking it up during a day means you're still getting in just as many, but they are broken up into manageable amounts.

Does your Emma exercise with you? My 20 mth old actually tries to do Burpees – it's hilarious, but I'm glad I'm teaching her young how to take care of herself.

Thanks for stopping!

3. Kristen says

Now that is a fantastic idea! My bathroom is too small to jump rope in, and doing other exercises like pushups and lunges not so much… but I really do like the jump rope idea. I think I may take that and improvise it a little bit :-)

(Although I have started doing squats when I'm actually "using" the toilet. Not many, but I do get in some squats throughout the day — I have a tiny bladder!)

4. Mandy says

Great idea! Every now and then I'll do something like this. Squats in the shower, kitchen while cooking dinner, balance on one leg while doing dishes, etc. Think I'll start doing something every time I go into the bathroom. Which is going to be every 30-45min since I'm potty training my son.

5. 'Becca says

What a great idea! We have done something similar by putting two pieces of quick-to-use exercise equipment where we see them all the time and thus are reminded to use them for a moment: We have a pull-up bar across our narrow hallway above head height, and we have an exercise ball that wanders around our bedroom. Using each of them for just a few minutes a day makes a real difference!

Lori- Welcome and by all means, join the club! It's amazing what just a few extra minutes a day will do – it doesn't matter if you don't exercise at all or you're already hard core. Those extra minutes make a big difference.

7. France@beyondthepeel says

That's great Paula. At first it sounds weird but my husband and I have implemented similar routines. We try to get in 40 squats or pushups especially when we can't get to the gym, like travel days at the airport. I have done squats in the handicap stall at several airports! hehehe. I don't care if people think I am weird. great post and so true!

Wow – Thank Erin. Glad you found this helpful.

But now that I've seen that Zebra Cake I'm going to have to do a few more jump ropes to burn off the calories I gained just from drooling over it! :)

9. Jenn Erickson says

Paula, these are wonderful ideas!

Thank you so much for being a part of the creative spirit and camaraderie on "A Little Birdie Told Me…" Tuesday at Rook No. 17. I hope you'll feel inspired to join in again this week!

Warmest wishes,
    Jenn

10. Anonymous says

I am convinced ! I will start tonight. I used to do leg lifts while brushing my teeth…and while drying my hear I would do squats…but it was only halfheartedly. After reading your inspiration I am charged up to start again.

11. Donna says

Thanks 4 the inspiration! I've gotten a little slack lately.
    One thing I do, is as I'm combing my hair, I stand on my toes and gradually lower my heels to the floor. Sometimes I will put one foot up on the counter and lean as far as I can. I look forward to summer and the garden- I get all my stretching in while weeding ;-)

12. spaysi says

Wonderful! I'm going to start this up right away! & to make sure I actually remember (biggest space cadet ever here) I'm going to write EXERCISE in dry-erase on my mirror.. that way I really can't forget! :)

13. Kristen @ Celebrate Every Day With Me says

Paula, what a great idea! This is something I can do!! You are hilarious that you were exercising in the Walmart bathroom . . . not sure if I'll be quite as dedicated. But, you have to start somewhere.