Bathroom Exercises?

Use bathroom #exercises to up your fitness level! WholeIntentions.com.(source)

Do you find yourself too busy to workout? Does the thought of going to the gym make you cringe? Or maybe you enjoy exercise and want to step it up a notch. . .

Let me introduce you to ‘bathroom exercises’. Sounds weird, I know. But bear with me. :)

The idea is simple.

1. Pick a room in your house that you go into several times a day. When I first heard this idea, I picked my kitchen. After all, I’m the cook.

2. Every time you go into that room, do an exerciseDid you know there are about 101 ways you can totally avoid your kitchen in the span of a day and still feed your family?

After more thought, I settled on the bathroom. I mean, it’s pretty hard to completely avoid that room for life. Eventually, you have to go in there.

Bathroom exercise ideas

1. Pick a high intensity type of exercise like push ups, lunges, running in place, etc. You can start out with five reps, ten reps, or thirty or more depending on the exercise and your fitness level. Do a set amount of reps or set a timer. The important part is to do it until you’re out of breath or can’t do anymore.

Let’s say you pick jumping rope – totally doable in the right sized bathroom. :) Maybe you start out doing 50 before you’re out of breath and need to stop. Gradually you increase that number to 200.

Do you realize that if you use the bathroom even five times a day, you’d complete 1,000 jumps. Think of all the muscles you’re calling into action –  arms, legs, stomach, lower back. . .It’s great!

silver dumbbell weights for fitness(source)

The best part of bathroom exercises is that it’s so flexible. Maybe you don’t have a jump rope or your bathroom is too small. Choose an exercise you can do in the space you have. A jumping jack doesn’t take more than about 4 feet of space. If you’re concerned the neighbors below you will complain, try squatting with weights or doing pushups.

I’ve squatted in the bathroom stall at Wal-Mart, did pushups at my sister’s house, and lunged until my legs felt like jello. It all works.

2. Pick an exercise you’re comfortable with, or can do properly. One day my sixteen-year-old had a pull-up bar in the laundry room doorway. The doorway I have to walk through to get to the bathroom. I decided to try. . .one. Just one.

As I was looking up at it, he walked by and ‘hinted’ that a proper pull-up starts from a dead hang, where you’re holding onto the bar with straight arms, knees bent, legs crossed at the ankles, and then pull yourself up – none of that ‘cheating’ little jump I was trying to get myself started. He proceeded to show me how easy it was.

So, I grabbed onto the bar and let myself hang – in proper form I might add, before I dropped to the floor.

“C’mon, mom. You have to at least try.”

I cleared my throat. “I was trying.

Maybe dead-hang pull-ups aren’t your thing either. :) There are a lot of exercises to choose from- even calf raises will start sculpting muscles and giving you that extra ‘umpff’.

Bathroom exercises give you little workout bursts throughout the day without the need to spend an hour a day at the gym or find a sitter each time you want to run.

And remember, the more water you drink, the better. ;)

What are your favorite bathroom exercises?

Shared with: Healthy Home Economist, The Prairie Homestead, Motivate Me Monday, DIY Home Sweet Home, 11th Heaven’s Homemaking Haven, Skip To My Lou, Hartke is Online, Home Savvy A to Z, Time-Warp Wife, Chef In Training, Tip Junkie, Vintage Wannabee, Permanent Posies, Hope Studios, Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mommy, Rook No. 17, Juliecache, Above Rubies, Women Living Well, Blue Cricket Designs, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, We Are That Family, The Thrifty Home, Raising Homemakers, Milk and Cuddles, Live Renewed, Nourishing Gourmet, A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa, Real Food Whole Health, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Simply Sweet Home, Life As Mom, Thirty Handmade Days, Crumbs & Chaos, Celebrating Family, Raising Mighty Arrows, Our Simple Country Life, Country Momma Cooks, Little Natural Cottage, Growing Home, Deep Roots at Home, Our Simple Farm, Christian Mommy Blogger,

“Meal

Comments

1. Amy says

That's awesome — I started doing that a couple of weeks ago. Nearly every time I go to the bathroom I do 10 push ups. I do 40 or 50 push ups a day! It's funny how you start looking at different spots you could drop and do 10!
    Anyway, loved reading this, I thought I was alone with my weird (put practical) idea.

Not weird, Amy, but very, very effective. If you'd try to do 40-50 pushups at a time you'd (or at least I) would fall on my face. But breaking it up during a day means you're still getting in just as many, but they are broken up into manageable amounts.

Does your Emma exercise with you? My 20 mth old actually tries to do Burpees – it's hilarious, but I'm glad I'm teaching her young how to take care of herself.

Thanks for stopping!

3. Kristen says

Now that is a fantastic idea! My bathroom is too small to jump rope in, and doing other exercises like pushups and lunges not so much… but I really do like the jump rope idea. I think I may take that and improvise it a little bit :-)

(Although I have started doing squats when I'm actually "using" the toilet. Not many, but I do get in some squats throughout the day — I have a tiny bladder!)

4. Mandy says

Great idea! Every now and then I'll do something like this. Squats in the shower, kitchen while cooking dinner, balance on one leg while doing dishes, etc. Think I'll start doing something every time I go into the bathroom. Which is going to be every 30-45min since I'm potty training my son.

5. 'Becca says

What a great idea! We have done something similar by putting two pieces of quick-to-use exercise equipment where we see them all the time and thus are reminded to use them for a moment: We have a pull-up bar across our narrow hallway above head height, and we have an exercise ball that wanders around our bedroom. Using each of them for just a few minutes a day makes a real difference!

Lori- Welcome and by all means, join the club! It's amazing what just a few extra minutes a day will do – it doesn't matter if you don't exercise at all or you're already hard core. Those extra minutes make a big difference.

7. France@beyondthepeel says

That's great Paula. At first it sounds weird but my husband and I have implemented similar routines. We try to get in 40 squats or pushups especially when we can't get to the gym, like travel days at the airport. I have done squats in the handicap stall at several airports! hehehe. I don't care if people think I am weird. great post and so true!

Wow – Thanks Erin. Glad you found this helpful.

But now that I've seen that Zebra Cake I'm going to have to do a few more jump ropes to burn off the calories I gained just from drooling over it! :)

9. Jenn Erickson says

Paula, these are wonderful ideas!

Thank you so much for being a part of the creative spirit and camaraderie on "A Little Birdie Told Me…" Tuesday at Rook No. 17. I hope you'll feel inspired to join in again this week!

Warmest wishes,
    Jenn

10. Anonymous says

I am convinced ! I will start tonight. I used to do leg lifts while brushing my teeth…and while drying my hear I would do squats…but it was only halfheartedly. After reading your inspiration I am charged up to start again.

11. Donna says

Thanks 4 the inspiration! I've gotten a little slack lately.
    One thing I do, is as I'm combing my hair, I stand on my toes and gradually lower my heels to the floor. Sometimes I will put one foot up on the counter and lean as far as I can. I look forward to summer and the garden- I get all my stretching in while weeding ;-)

12. spaysi says

Wonderful! I'm going to start this up right away! & to make sure I actually remember (biggest space cadet ever here) I'm going to write EXERCISE in dry-erase on my mirror.. that way I really can't forget! :)

13. Kristen @ Celebrate Every Day With Me says

Paula, what a great idea! This is something I can do!! You are hilarious that you were exercising in the Walmart bathroom . . . not sure if I'll be quite as dedicated. But, you have to start somewhere.