Candida-Diet Sugar-Free Ice Cream

#Candida-diet, #sugar-free ice cream made with some of the healthiest ingredients possible! - WholeIntentions.comI’m going to share with you one of my top secret, all-time favorite, late-night companion, go-to, I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-ice-cream recipes.

Don’t tell anyone. . .okay, tell everyone, because this one is just worth sharing. :)

A healthy candida-diet

If you’ve struggled with candida, you know one of the best ways to get it under control is with a candida-diet.

The best candida-diet plan I’ve seen (and used) is the 3-Stage candida-diet found in Dr. Bakker’s book, Candida Crusher. Instead of cutting out sugars and starches (i.e. grains and potatoes) all at once, Dr. Bakker created his diet to eliminate and add foods back in stages.

This diet harbors on being the-healthiest-in-the-world, is full of nutrient-rich food, helps you shed weight like melting butter on a hot day, and is one of the best ways to cure yourself of candida’s numerous health symptoms.

Because, let’s face it: you are what you eat. If you eat the foods candida loves, you’ll become a big mushy mass of candida fungus with legs.

Just sayin’.

Ice cream cravings

‘Okay, sure’, you say. But what happens when you’re sitting next to someone who’s eating a bowl of triple scoop ice cream drizzled in toppings, and those old food cravings start rearing their ugly heads?

That, my friends, is when you whip out your bowl of Candida-Diet, Sugar-Free Ice Cream and laugh out loud.

If you can laugh when your mouth is full. . .

If I could, I would call this: Candida-Diet Friendly, Sugar-Free, Healthy-Fat, Protein-Filled, Delicious, Filling, Good-For-You Ice Cream.

But you know. . .

This is a large recipe – because we eat it a lot. :) You can easily cut the ingredients in half if you want to make less (or if you’re crazy ;)).

Candida Diet, Sugar-Free Ice Cream (gluten-free, candida-diet)
(altered from a recipe found at Healing Naturally by Bee)
12 eggs
1 1/2 c. coconut oil
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 t. vanilla extract
stevia, to taste
1 T. raw cacao powder, optional for layered ice cream (or use 3 T. to make the whole batch chocolate flavored)

1. Place eggs and vanilla in blender.

2. Gently melt the coconut oil and butter together and add it to the blender. (Heat until just melted and let it cool a bit before you add it or you’ll cook the eggs.)

3. Blend it all up until it’s a nice, deep yellow.

4. Add stevia to taste. (Add just a bit – maybe 1/4 teaspoon – at a time. Blend and taste test before adding more. Too much stevia will taste bitter.)

5. Split the the ice cream liquid into three separate bowls. Add the cacao powder to one of the bowls and mix with a fork. Now you have two vanilla bowls and one chocolate.

6. Pour one of the vanilla bowls into a tall, flat-bottomed bowl. Cover with a lid and place in the freezer until frozen (about 2 hours).

7. Cover vanilla bowl #2 and the chocolate bowl with lids and place them in the fridge. After the ice cream in the freezer has frozen, pour the bowl of chocolate overtop and freeze again. Repeat with the last bowl of vanilla.

8. When the ice cream is completley frozen, warm the bottom of the bowl under warm water until you can turn it out. Run a knife under warm water to cut it.

Note: Alternately, you don’t have to split the ice cream liquid into three parts. You can leave it in the blender and opt out of using the cacao powder for vanilla-flavored ice cream or add 3 Tablespoons cacao powder for chocolate-flavored ice cream. This ice cream freezes very solidly so you can also pour it into a 9×13 pan and cut it into squares when you’re ready to serve.

Candida-Diet Sugar-Free Ice Cream

Allergies Candida-Diet, Gluten-Free
Meal type Desserts
Website Whole Intentions

Ingredients

• 12 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • stevia, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder, optional for layered ice cream (or use 3 T. to make the whole batch chocolate flavored)

Directions

1. Place eggs and vanilla in blender.
2. Gently melt the coconut oil and butter and add to the blender. (Heat until just melted and let cool a bit or you'll cook the eggs.)
3. Blend it all up until it’s a nice, deep yellow.
4. Add stevia to taste. (Add just a bit - maybe 1/4 teaspoon - at a time. Blend and taste test before adding more. Too much stevia will taste bitter.)
5. Split the the ice cream liquid into three separate bowls. Add the cacao powder to one of the bowls and mix with a fork. Now you have two vanilla bowls and one chocolate.
6. Pour one of the vanilla bowls into a tall, flat-bottomed bowl. Cover with a lid and place in the freezer until frozen (about 2 hours).
7. Cover vanilla bowl #2 and the chocolate bowl with lids and place them in the fridge. After the ice cream in the freezer has frozen, pour the bowl of chocolate overtop and freeze again. Repeat with the last bowl of vanilla.
8. When the ice cream is completley frozen, warm the bottom of the bowl under warm water until you can turn it out. Run a knife under warm water to cut it.

Note

Note: Alternately, you don't have to split the ice cream liquid into three parts. You can leave it in the blender and opt out of using the cacao powder for vanilla-flavored ice cream or add 3 Tablespoons cacao powder for chocolate-flavored ice cream. This ice cream freezes very solidly so you can also pour it into a 9x13 pan and cut it into squares when you're ready to serve.

Now wait, you say. How can you lose weight with a treat that’s full of fat? Read about healthy fats like coconut oil – and how they actually help you lose weight!

candida-diet, sugar and gluten-free desserts
Candida Crusher

Shared at: The Healthy Home Economist, Butter Believer, The Prairie Homestead, Nourishing Treasures, Hartke Is Online, Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms, Cultured Mama, Blessed With Grace, Real Food Forager, Real Food Freaks, Simply Sweet Home,The Shabby Nest, Food Renegade, Tip Junkie, Vintage Wannabee, Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, Time-Warp Wife, Confessions of A Frugal Mind, Far Above Rubies, Premeditated Leftovers, Confessions of A Stay-At-Home Mommy, At Home With K, At The Well, Women Living Well, Frugally Sustainable, The King’s Court IV, The Gluten Free Homemaker, Crystal & Comp, Handy Man, Crafty Woman, day2day Joys, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, This Chick Cooks, We Are That Family, Raising Homemakers, My Edibles, The Thrifty Home, The Stuff of Success, Blue Cricket Designs, Everyday Tastes, A Little Bit of Spain In Iowa, Sorta Crunchy, Momnivore’s Dilemma, Life as Mom, Whipperberry, Real Food Whole Health, Mom Trends, Creation Corner, The Girl Creative, Home Savvy A to Z, Keeping It Simple, Skip to My Lou, Keeping It Simple, DIY Home Sweet Home, Coastal Charm, Permanent Posies, Hope Studios, The Nourishing Gourmet, Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Rook No. 17, Celebrating Family, Thirty Handmade Days, Flour Me With Love, The Modest Mom Blog, Growing Home, Living Oil Lady, Deep Roots at Home, Raising Mighty Arrows, Our Simple Country Life, Comfy in the Kitchen, Little Natural Cottage, Our Simple Farm,

Miracle

Comments

1. leslie@realfoodfreaks says

Wow– I've never seen ice cream made this way! We are big fans of our Kitchen Aid ice cream maker… do you think this recipe would work in that?

Leslie – I would try it both frozen and in the kitchen aid, just to see which I liked better.

I don't have a kitchen aid ice cream maker (on my wish list!) but I'd definitely try it if I did!

3. Reamz says

Wow what an awesome idea! A while back i wondered if you could make an ice-cream of sorts with butter but didn';t think it was possible. I am definetly trying this out, i've been craving icecream so much lately!.
    By the way, do you think it would work if I used just egg yolks rather than the whole egg??

Reamz,

Hmm, I think if you blended it with just the whites it would become super frothy. I don't know how well bubbles would freeze. :)
    I've never tried it without the yolks, but I'd guess they add a lot to the creaminess.

If you skip the yolk your skipping a valuable source of vitamin A (vital to your health), beneficial fatty acids, and cholesterol which is needed for the nervous system and mental development in babies (in case you're expecting or plan to be).

If you can keep them in there, I'd sure encourage you to.

Reamz,

Whew – I'm glad I misread your question! I would much rather see someone attempt it with yolks only! :)

That being said, I think it would work. In fact, it's a great idea seeing as how there are times when you have a few egg yolks left over from another recipe.

You could freeze the yolks until you had enough to make a batch of ice cream. Waste not, want not. . .

Great idea, Reamz – let me know how it turns out if you try it.

6. Kim Wilson says

I love your relaxed way of describing candida and the related food issues. My book, The Candida Companion Guide, addresses healing from candida through natural diet and lifestyle changes- a similar approach to what you've described here (like an unbelievably healthy diet!).

7. Olah Momma! says

Sounds like this is something good to try. Love homemade ice creams too!

Following and Liked your lovely blog. I am also inviting you to join Autumn Blog Hop 2011 at Momma's Lounge ( http://olahmomma.com/momlounge ) where you meet more mom bloggers; shout away; add your giveaways and/or blog and business links; and get featured by sharing your crafts, recipes and interesting musings.

If you are interested, I am also giving away my Over and Under themed personally handmade bookmark. This is not a contest. Everyone can request this beautifully handmade bookmark for FREE. Simply get this link to make your request: http://blyro.peachburst.com/free-beautifully-handmade-bookmarks-by-blyro.html/

Thank you and have a great day from http://olahmomma.com

Kim – Thank you for your sweet words. I'm so glad there are others out there who're realizing the effects of candida. Good for you for writing a guide book!

Olah Momma – thanks for the invite! Looks like a great site!

Kavi – It sounds too good, doesn't it. But if I can have a healthy ice cream while on a candida diet, who am I to complain! :) Thanks for the invite, I'll be sure to stop by.

9. Johnlyn ~ Frugality and Homemaking says

I haven't found any stevia brand that I like yet. Do you use a powder or liquid?

Thanks!

10. Design_Fluff says

Yummy! I've been looking for something sugar free that didn't involve Splenda or Aspartame. Thanks so much for this!

11. April @ The 21st Century Housewife says

This looks like a fantastic healthy recipe – what a lovely treat! Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

12. Anonymous says

I have heard that egg whites should be cooked so that biotin is not blocked. If that is true blending with yolks only would be best. Anyone know more about this?

jean

Clairejustine – I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Thanks for inviting me to Creative Thursday – I'll try linking up this week!

Johnlyn – We've really liked Spoonable Stevia for powder form and Sweetleaf liquid stevia for liquid form. For this recipe I use powder, but you could easily make it different flavors with the liquid form.

Jill – Your welcome! And thanks for a great link up!

Design_Fluff – your welcome! Let me know how you like it!

April – your welcome! Glad to be a part of your link up!

Jill – thanks so much for featuring this post! I'm so glad to be able to help others find a sugar-free option for ice cream!

Jean – I have not had time to research this as much as I'd like. But it would be safe to say that you could most definitely use egg yolks only for this recipe if you were concerned.

15. Living on Less Money says

I was wondering if you have any suggestions for making a smaller batch?

Also, where do you purchase your coconut oil?

I have problems with dairy so this would be a wonderful alternative.

Living on Less Money -

Hi! Thanks for stopping. As to your question, you can make a much smaller batch with these measurements:

4 eggs
    8 T. coconut oil
    4 T. unsalted butter
    vanilla extract
    stevia to taste

I purchase my coconut oil from Wilderness Family Naturals (www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com) They have the best quality oil for the best prices in my opinion. I've been a customer for several years and have never had a complaint. :)

Have a wonderful New Year!

17. Reamz says

Hey! Me again. I haven't yet tried your recipe with just egg yolks but I did a practice run twice using your recipe (but a smaller batch using 2 eggs, 1/4C coconut oil and 1/8C butter. The first time, when i poured the fat into the eggs in the blender the coconut oil cooled down and started to clump, so i melted it on the stove a bit and froze it in a manual icecream maker but it came out clumpy. The second time I mixed it by hand, and froze it in a glass pan like you, but again, clumpy, with ice crystals, not creamy at all like yours :(. What am I doing wrong.

Maybe I didn't explain the directions clearly – sorry! When you melt the coconut oil and butter, let it cool in the pan to the point you can put your finger in it without burning yourself, but not cooled completely. Then pour it onto the blender and blend immediately, don't let it cool more – you just don't want it hot enough to start cooking the eggs.

When I freeze mine in the glass pan, I sometimes get tiny ice crystals on the top too. I let it sit on the counter long enough that I can scoop out my square sized piece. It will still be somewhat hard when you take it out of the pan.

Then, to get it creamy, I let it sit out a bit longer until I can stir it up and break it up with a spoon to get it to a creamy consistency. The creaminess just comes from my own sweat and a spoon. :)

I hope this makes it clearer. Don't hesitate to ask if you are still having problems.

19. Reamz says

thanks paula. I did let it cool to room temperature before adding to the eggs, but it didnt even look like yours when it was frozen! I'll try and take a picture next time i make it.
    Also, I noticed it looks quite frothy/bubbly in your pictures, so perhaps I need to mix it more thoroughly till frothy?

I do blend mine for a good bit – that's maybe where the frothiness comes in. Yes, please go ahead and send me your pics and I'll try to help out as much as I can.

What kind of butter are you using? What kind of coconut oil? Thinking out loud here. . .

So glad you were able to get better results this time, Reamz!

Keep giving it a go – it's not like you're wasting the ingredients. It's good no matter what you do to it. :)

My husband likes to add water to it and drink it straight instead of freezing it – he says it reminds him of eggnog.

Have fun experimenting!

22. Cheryl says

Three of my daughters and I have recently gone on the Candida Diet and are in NEED of a delicious dessert. THANK YOU!

23. Justina says

I'd love to try this but I'm wondering about eating all those uncooked eggs. Aren't you supposed to steer away from uncooked eggs because of salmonella (or something like that)?

Hi Justina,

That's a question I ran into too. From what I understand, organic and free range eggs have a significantly lower risk.
    I don't know if I'd feel comfortable eating raw eggs from the store. :)

Also, everything in moderation. Since this is ice cream, you probably won't eat it daily (though it's tempting!).

There's an in depth article about drinking raw eggs on Mark's Daily Apple. I don't agree with his take on evolving humans, but I think his research and info on raw eggs is worth reading. :)

25. peters_mom says

I'm so excited to try this. I've been making Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream and love it, but I couldn't rap my head around how to make vanilla ice cream out of coconut milk without it just tasting like coconut milk. I don't know if your Naturopath allows you to have chocolate on your Candida Diet (mine is ok with the 87%+ dark chocolate), but if you can have it, you're welcome to try the recipe I have on my blog http://kathleen.peterro.com/2011/07/sugar-free-chocolate-coconut-milk-ice-cream/
    I use xylitol to sweeten mine, but my friend uses only stevia for hers and loves it.

Hey Kathleen,

I stopped by your blog – you got me at the words chocolate, ice cream, coconut, and stevia. All words I love! Your recipe is officially bookmarked in my "I really, really want to try this" file. :)

Thanks for sharing and hopping over to say hi!

27. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says

This looks delicious and so creamy. It's hard to believe it's a diet food! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

28. Luci says

I have a question about the vanilla extract. Is there a specific kind that is allowed on the candida diet? I've been making my own for a while now from vodka and vanilla beans, but I didn't think alcohol was allowed? I'm trying to psych myself up to start the diet soon. :)

Hi Luci,

Technically on a strict candida diet you're supposed to scrape the vanilla bean and use that for vanilla flavoring.

No, alcohol is not allowed either.

So okay, it's confession time. :) This is one area we do 'cheat'. We use vodka in our Pepper Juice tincture and since I can buy organic Madagascar Vanilla through Azure Standard cheaper than I can make my own, I don't buy vanilla beans.

I don't encourage 'cheating' on the anti-candida diet. Travis has been on this diet for over a year and I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary. We're both quite strict. We've noticed enormous changes in that time so we've allowed this small cheat.

Congratulations on getting all your ducks in a row before starting! Half the battle is just beginning. Trust me, after awhile you don't even miss the foods you've eliminated (much) and when you begin to feel better it's a tremendous boost to keep going!

30. Luci says

Thanks so much for the reply, Paula! There are so many rules to this diet. I really appreciate the resources on your blog!

31. Emily says

Can't tell you how happy I am to have landed here from hearts 4 home!!!! I haven't met another person who had ever heard of candida outside of our nutritionist and now I have even found an ice cream recipe! I've shied away from the raw egg ice cream as well even though we have organic eggs, but this post may have convinced me to give it a try!

Welcome Emily! So glad to have you hear and be able to encourage you with a 'sweet treat'. Let me know how you like it if you decide to give it a go!

33. Johnlyn ~ Frugality and Homemaking says

I knew I had asked before! I'll write the brands down this time. Thanks!

34. Anonymous says

This looks and sounds delicious! Just one question, isn't butter a no-no on the Candida diet?

Rhonda

35. Kathleen says

Paula, I finally got around to making this today for Mother's Day (all the sugar people were having vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries). Wow!!! This is better than regular ice cream (okay from what I remember it tasting like). I cannot get over how creamy it is, and my family REALLY liked it too.

I modified it just a tiny bit because I'm not always crazy about stevia only sweetened goodies. I used 1/4 c xylitol and 20 drops of NuNaturals liquid stevia. After mixing in my Blendtec, I poured it into my electric Cusinart ice cream maker. It turned out like a thick milk shake. Then I froze it in a 9×13 pan and scooped out some for the Mother's Day BBQ. Let's just say, by the time I actually got to lunch time I was stuffed from all the spoonfuls I stole while the ice cream was mixing. I may have had too much of a good thing. :-) Now my mind is whirling with all the possible flavors. I wish it was December because Egg Nog and pumpkin would definitely be on my list.

Thank you so much for adding this marvel of perfection to my anti-candida diet list of goodies. Look out summer!!!

Rhonda,

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of variations of candida diets out there.

For instance, I've read one Dr. who says you can be on a candida diet (with fruits and dairy allowed) and be healed in a matter of months. Another source says no dairy (except butter or ghee) and no fruit and expect it to take as many months to heal as you are old (i.e. if you're 34 years old, stay on the diet for 34 months).

There are many opinions.

Personally, I try to adhere to a 95% strict diet: I allow butter (don't know that I could live without it!), 1-2 cups of raw milk a week (can't let it go completely as it has so many other health benefits), fruit maybe once a month, and organic vanilla extract instead of scraping vanilla beans.

My thought is that I'd rather be stricter and heal faster rather than drag it out for years and years and cheat all the time. However, being too strict is difficult and I've 'fallen off the wagon' before so I allow my little variations.

Butter, especially grass-fed if you can get it, is so healthy and healing in many ways. The pros out weigh the cons for me. :)

Kathleen,

Thanks so much for popping back over and sharing! I love when others confirm that I don't have really weird taste buds :).

The ingredients may not jump out and say 'we're going to be delicious!' but this recipe really is out of this world! I'm so glad you liked it and could enjoy your day without cheating or feeling left out.

BTW – Now I REALLY want a Cusinart!

38. Dave says

Hi Paula,

I have just started on a candida diet. I have had little or no carbs and have eliminated refined sugars from my diet. When I first saw this recipe I thought ” Wow, I can go on this diet and still beat candida!” Anyway’s I googled Stevia and stumbled upon some side effects of using Stevia and a type of sweetener. Whats your opinion on it?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

I’d heard this too. There was concern of its use by pregnant/nursing mothers for awhile too.

My honest opinion? I think it’s a ruse by ‘the powers that be’ to stop the use of another safe herb. :)

Let me expand on that in all fairness. Stevia has been known and used for over 400 years in South Africa with no ill effects. Japan’s been using it for over 20 years. According to Dr. Zoltan Rona, “there has never been a reported case of any adverse reaction to stevia, yet the FDA-approved aspartame that has been linked to complaints of seizures, blindness, brain tumors and even death.”

Of course, I don’t recommend eating it by cupful. :) Stevia is so sweet that minute amounts are needed as compared to white sugar. From my experience, the longer you are on a candida diet, the less ‘sweetness’ you crave. What happens is that you then need less and less stevia to sweeten anything – again reducing the amount you’re actually consuming.

I personally feel it is safe to use.

• Cyndee says

I totally agree with the info about Stevia! It took me 3-4 days of stevia before I got used to it. I had been drinking my coffee with a sugar free creamer, but come to find out that the sweetener was corn syrup! AAAAACK! Sooo, I promptly switched and it is just a mind set at first that I don’t want that candida growing inside me anymore! Then I got used to stevia and do not want to go back! Feel soooo much better! Thank you Paula for all the info! I can see you do this to help people and not to make money! Such a blessing you are! I research everything myself and love helping others with what I find out. Seems God sends people my way who are going through what I have in the past and found relief, so I can share my experiences with them. The only drawback is when they don’t make the change. Well, you can give and give, but it’s up to them to receive, right? hmmmmm, I’ve heard that somewhere before. . . . :)

Thanks for your kind words Cyndee!

I’m just so excited by what I research and read I can’t help talking about it! Sharing it comes naturally when I see what a dramatic change eating healthy foods can make.

We can share what we know and be an encouragement, but in the end it’s like my dad says, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink . . .”

Everyone walks the road to health at a different pace. :)

My experiences with Candida proved to be life changing. When you are told to take sugar out of your diet, at first you wonder what you will eat. As it turns out…plenty. It takes a little more planning to put a meal on the table or in a lunch box, but it is worth it. I feel better now than I ever have and have dropped over 70 pounds in less than a year. While it can be difficult to maintain this lifestyle, I remember how I felt before I started and I get all the encouragement I need to continue. The one thing that continues to be a problem is finding recipes that are sugar free but please the taste buds. Thanks for your delicious looking recipes.

40. Kat says

RE: the vanilla extract – I was able to find alcohol free vanilla extract at my local Whole Foods store and now I’m excited to try this recipe as a treat for my birthday that’s coming up. Thanks for this recipe! This may be a dumb question but does the container you put it in specifically need to be glass?

That’s not a dumb question! I store a lot of our leftovers and foods in glass because my husband had an allergy test several years ago that showed allergies to plastic.

I also don’t like the idea of food on plastic – I do still use plastic occasionally, but if I can use glass, I go for that first.

41. KarenL says

This is the recipe that brought me to your site! Now that I know you know of Bee Wilder, it makes sense that this recipe is similar to her ‘egg drink’.

What I’m surprised at is there is no salt in it. Have you ever put salt in it then didn’t like it?

Thanks!

Hi Karen,

I’ve actually never put salt in this. I’m a bit of a salt lover (celtic sea salt of course!) so I feel I get enough of it other wise. :)

Hi Justina,
    I’m really surprised no one answered your question.

Here it is: If you open a spoiled egg? You’ll really know it! The least bit of taint and the yolk and white will both look and smell from weird to horrible. Then, you simply don’t use it! I always open my eggs into one bowl and tip them into a second, just in case the next egg is ‘weird’. If you are very unsure of your eggs you can also ‘candle’ them which is to hold them in front of a flashlight to see if there are any structures or dark spots. The only things you should ever be able to see in a fresh egg is the yellow and the air sack.

Justina asked:
    “Aren’t you supposed to steer away from uncooked eggs because of salmonella (or something like that)?”

I don’t find Justina’s original post with her question on salmonella but hopefully with my name will show a link from Mercola on the unnecessary concerns with salmonella.

Hi ladies,
        Thank you, Nancy, for making sure Justina’s question was answered. I did reply (January 23rd) – but I posted it a separate comment rather than a reply (I was still figuring out my new blog features ;)) so that might have been why you missed it.

And thank you Karen for linking to a site about the unnecessary concerns. :) You ladies are a blessing!

So sorry I missed your answer, Paula. It’s great to speak openly about a healthier diet without being attacked by the cholesterol police.

It irks me that there are so many untruths out there that prevent people from enjoying a healthy diet.

Ha! I hear ya! Every time I read an article about the dangers of saturated fat I start to growl. My poor husband has had to hear me rant and rave numerous times. :)

We got a bit of a shock yesterday when we visited my Hubby’s doctor. She had him talk to a “diabetic nurse” who gave him a foods list that suggestd he eat coconut oil and butter! She said, “It may surprise you to know that butter is actually good for you.” Haha!

The last conversation I had with Hubby’s doctor, She chided Hubby that his cholesterol was too high. I told her that fat could not be bad for humans because we need it for our nervous system, organs and brain!

I’m not going to jump to the conclusion that the medical profession is getting smarter. I’ll just keep eating right and avoiding all those nasty medications.

That does surprise me! If there’s one thing the medical community seems to want to ban it’s saturated fats!

Hurray for your diabetic nurse – and hurray for coconut oil and butter!!

Hi Ashi,

I use 1 T. (tablespoon) of vanilla but I don’t measure the stevia, I just add a bit, taste it and add more. There are so many versions of stevia I hate to give an amount as some are much stronger than others. Hope that helps!

Howdy! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin
    that might be able to resolve this issue. If you have any suggestions,
    please share. With thanks!

Sorry it took me so long to reply – I have no idea how my site is mobile friendly. :) Wish I could help you out but all I know is that I use Hostgator for hosting, wordpress.org, and Thesis as my theme. I’m not sure if one of those is set up to be mobile friendly or not.

I use our farm fresh eggs so I’m not too concerned. :) If you do make this, I’d suggest finding someone who sells eggs locally or getting cage-free, free-range eggs if possible.

47. Jessica says

Hi Paula~ I am a butter Lover, however, I just discovered I am highly reactive to dairy. Is it possible to make this with just coconut oil & eggs~and no butter?

I’m guessing that the reason behind the butter is simply for the flavor. Both the oil and the butter are good fats so as far as that goes they’ll work interchangeably – it’s the taste I’m thinking will suffer. Still, you could throw in some salt, some coconut milk, and give it a whirl. :)

48. Lauren says

I tried this ice cream :) Honestly my stomach felt a bit weird the first few servings- i beleive it is getting used to all the oils or something. Not so good by itself but amazing topped with my favorite “candida allowed” fruit-strawberries and cocao. thank you ^_^ now im about to make the chocolate coconut squares.

Yep, with this much good fat, you’re body may not be used to it. Maybe try a few bites at a time, letting it settle a good 30 min. before anymore – especially when you eat it for the first time.

49. Genevieve Artel says

Hi! I was wondering if you use pure vanilla essence or true vanilla extract (that is composed of alcohol), especially during the early stages of the Candida diet. Thanks!

I use true vanilla extract now, but in the beginning stages I would recommend vanilla bean if your candida score (from taking the candida test) is high. If your score is on the lower end and you don’t have reactions from true extract, I would say you could try it because it is usually used in such small amounts.

I don’t use vanilla essence anymore because it’s usually made up of fake ingredients and doesn’t taste as good to me. :)

50. Christi says

I was wondering if anyone has tried this recipe with ghee in place of the butter and how it turned out. Also, would be interested if anyone has had any success with variations on the recipe to share.

I’ve not personally tried it with ghee.

As far as variations, I have tried it with cocao powder and mint extract. I don’t measure though – just taste test. :)

51. Purna says

Looks fabulous!! Just starting the Candida Diet (very strict, even eliminating things on the avoid list) and I have a major sweet tooth. No fruit is going to be hard!!

Do you have a vegan suggestion to replace the eggs? I’m allergic, and don’t eat tofu or soy. Flaxseeds won’t do the trick here. Thanks!

I’m not sure what else might work to replace the eggs. That’s a hard one to replace. I know you can sub chia for eggs in baking, similar to flax seed. It might be worth trying a really small batch to see what happened.

We have some great ice cream recipes in our candida cookbooks – some are egg-free too. I know for sure Sarah’s recipe: Feet In The Sand Coconut Ice Cream in The Sweeter Side of Candida doesn’t contain eggs.

• Jenn says

I’ve seen a lot of recipes that use unflavored gelatin to keep ice creams like this from freezing solid. Do you think that would work for this recipe? I can’t wait to try it!

52. margret says

I tried making this with pasteurized eggs, it did not work. All the fat went to the bottom of the pan. Is there a way to salvage the oil and butter and re use it?

I have made this with pasteurized eggs before and it’s worked. Did you mix it in a blender? I don’t know that mixing it by hand would do it. I’d let it thaw, then mixed it again with a high-powered blender to see if that did the trick.

I made this last night, and can’t wait to get home from work tonight to try it! mouth is watering thinking about it. :) I use Wildtree organic, GMO-free coconut oil. MY FAV!