Homemade Sausage Seasoning

I love sausage. I regularly add it to my scrambled eggs in the morning. I nibble it cold from the fridge during the day and then make wonderful comfort food like Sausage and Potato Casserole or Biscuits and Sausage Gravy for supper.

But I don’t like all the nitrates, MSG, and unnecessary sugars added to it. If you’re a sausage lover like me, give this homemade sausage seasoning mix a try and tell me if you haven’t just found your new best friend.

A big thank you to Angela who shared this on the GFCFrecipes yahoo group.

Sausage Seasoning Mix (gluten-free)
8 T. celtic sea salt
1 c. + 2 T. black pepper
8 T. nutmeg
4 T. sage

1. Add 1 1/3 T. to one pound of browned ground beef.

Homemade Sausage Seasoning

Allergies Candida-Diet, Gluten-Free
Meal type Seasonings & Mixes
Website Whole Intentions

Ingredients

• 8 tablespoons celtic sea salt
  • 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons black pepper
  • 8 tablespoons nutmeg
  • 4 tablespoons sage

Directions

1. Add 1 1/3 T. to one pound of browned ground beef.

What’s your favorite recipe calling for sausage?

Shared with: The Healthy Home Economist, The Prairie Homestead, Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, Nourishing Treasures, The Modest Mom, Chef In Training, Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, Real Food Forager, Time-Warp Wife, Celebrating Family, Far Above Rubies, Growing Home, Rook No. 17, Raising Homemakers, This Chick Cooks, Deep Roots at Home, Raising Mighty Arrows, The Nourishing Gourmet, It’s A Keeper, GNOWFGLINS, The Greenbacks Gal, Food Renegade, Real Food Whole Health, Comfy in the Kitchen, Little Natural Cottage, Real Food Freaks, Vintage Wannabee, Delicious Obsessions, Turning the Clock Back, Our Simple Country Life, Flour Me With Love, Young Living Oil LadyLaura’s Gluten Free Pantry, Day2Day Joys,

Herbal Nurturing from Frugal Granola

Comments

1. Michele says

This sounds SO good. We ate biscuits with sausage gravy all the time growing up. My Texan Grandma would make it ALL THE TIME. So, that's my favorite way to have sausage. Recently, my husband had biscuits and gravy for the first time (at 24 years old, can you believe that?) and he just loved it. I guess now I need to start making it, and now I can try your seasonings out. Thank you!

The seasoning is what makes all the difference – I've never found another that I like as much as I do the homemade sausage seasoning. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

3. Mary Hudak-Collins says

Your recipe is a God-send! My husband just recently brought me fresh sausage from a farm. He asked that it be cut and prepared separately, and no seasonings be added. I have searched and searched, to no avail, to find an easy way to season it. Everything I read got so complicated, so I just put it in the freezer. We love sausage balls, sausage on pizza, and even in my lasagna :) Thanks for sharing!

4. suzyhomemaker says

I love how simple this seasoning is. I try to avoid nitrates and MSG as well. I can't wait to try this.

Mary,

Mmm. Sausage in lasagna – I'll have to try that! Glad you found the recipe just when you needed it! Let us know what you think of it.

6. Amy says

This sounds delicious & simple to make.Cant wait until I try ths…

Thanks for sharing with Midweek Fiesta…

Mary,

Absolutely. I simply use ground beef because it's what I always have on hand. When I get a sausage craving I don't want to wait till I can buy some pork. Lazy of me, isn't it. :)

8. Debbie says

This sausage recipe sounds yummy as I am trying to get off of chemicals and eat as naturally as possible. I will be coming back to see what else you have to share.

9. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures says

10. Carrie @ young living oil lady says

Do you use fresh or dried herbs? Thank you for sharing your all natural recipes with us at Kids in the Kitchen! You have found your newest blog fan! :)
    Hope to see you linking up again next week!

11. Kelli Becton-AdventurezInChildRearing says

Brilliant! hubs is a hunter so we get fresh pork and deer meat. This is perfect- thanks for linking up with Kids in the Kitchen!

Hey Carrie,

I use dried herbs. I don't have either of these herbs in my garden though I'm hoping to keep expanding my list. If I did have these, I would roughly guess to cut the amount in half. For example, instead of 4 tablespoons of dried sage, I'd use 2 tablespoons of fresh.

That's just a guess. I'm not much for measuring. . . :)

13. Laurel says

Paula – It’s just the opposite for fresh herbs. You need to double the amount because of the high water content of fresh herbs. So, instead of 4 T dried sage you’d use 8 T of fresh sage. I’d want to grate the nutmeg and pepper fresh since they lose flavor and aroma so quickly.

Since you love sausage you should check out this book:

I have a copy and so far everything we’ve made has been fantastic! Be sure to check out the recipe for Italian sausage with red wine. Mmmmmmm!
    Laurel

Ack! You’re so right Laurel! I remembered that it was doubled – I just had it switched around! Thanks for commenting and bringing it to my attention.

• Danny says

Paula, I’ve recently had a heart scare and since my usual breakfast favorites are loaded with cholesterol… i want to make my own turkey sausage. I like the idea of making this dry seasoning mix in quantity… that way its good to go whichever way i decide to use it. My heart thanks you!!

14. Sabrina says

Hello! the doc gave me to November 1st to get enough info on SCD to start it out/get myself ready. I’m an AVID cook/baker so your site here has been fun to check out! Found this link from your hamburger/cabbage casserole post. I’m just wanting to make SURE i’m reading it right…a full CUP of black pepper + 2 TB? And am i using fresh ground or the kind i get in the store that’s already fine ground? the reviews all sound so good…i just want to make sure i’m reading it right and using the right “potency” of pepper before doing it…thank you!

15. Linda says

I really appreciate this recipe for seasoning ground hamburger…especially for it to taste like “pork sausage”. I stopped eating pork and any foods pork was cooked in, about 8 years ago, which greatly improved my health, especially indigestion, including my candida too.

I’m really looking forward to giving this a try….I have so missed having pork sausage, I grew up with it and now I can hopefully have the taste of sausage without the pork once again. I’ve tried unsuccessfully in the past to make a sausage mix for hamburger, it just never turned out well. But who would have thought “nutmeg” could be the answer to possibly why mine didn’t turn out!
    Thank you so much…I have ask for your newsletter, looking forward to reading more about you and your recipes…your a wonderfully honest and warm young lady…I will enjoy knowing you, I can sure tell you that.

Awww – thanks Linda! I’m so glad you found the seasoning. I wish I could give credit to who created it, but I found it years ago on the internet and just wrote it down on a scrap of paper. :) It is delicious though and a lifesaver for anyone who wants a healthier sausage. I hope you enjoy it!!