GF Applesauce Almond Cake with Brown Sugar & Honey Frosting

This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more in my Disclosure Policy.

Cake is great.

It’s easy to whip together and versatile enough to serve at church picnics, card parties, play dates, dinner with friends, or a simple but satisfying end to a family meal.

It was for the latter reason I decided to make a cake recently. I wanted something a little sweet after the supper meal. I was craving an applesauce cake I’d made a few years ago that I hadn’t tried to convert to gluten-free yet.

But this day I had time to play and tweak. I was ecstatic with the results. A delicious and very moist cake with enough applesauce to make me feel like I was eating on the healthy side and a beautiful frosting that crusted lightly on the top but was still soft and smooth underneath.

Gluten Free Applesauce Almond Cake (gluten-free, yeast-free)

2 1/4 cup GF Flour Mix
3/4 cup raw honey
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 t. almond flavoring
2/3 cup buttermilk (or coconut milk with a splash of lemon juice)
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup almonds, chopped (these are optional – soaked is best)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×13 or two 9″ cake pans.

2. Combine all of the dry ingredients together. In another bowl combine the wet ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. The batter will be very runny.

3. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for 45-50 min. or until the cake springs back when you touch it.

4. Cool and frost with Brown Sugar and Honey Frosting (recipe below).

*To soak the flour in this recipe:
1. Combine the GF Flour Mix, honey, butter, buttermilk, eggs, and applesauce.
2. Refrigerate the batter for 12-24 hours. (The longer the better.)
3. When you are ready to bake, let the batter come to room temp. and then follow directions as usual. However, be aware that you may have to increase your baking time a bit as soaked flours take longer to bake.

Brown Sugar and Honey Frosting (egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, yeast-free)

1/3 cup (5 1/3 T.) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar (you can also use cane sugar)
2 Tbs raw honey
2 Tbs milk (or coconut milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

1. Melt butter. Add brown sugar and honey; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

2. Boil about 1 min. Remove from the heat.

3. Using a wooden spoon, stir in milk and vanilla. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth; cool 1 min.

4. Spread evenly over cake and let sit to form a light crust.

Shared at: Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms, The Girl Creative, The Prairie Homestead, Turning the Clock Back, The Gluten-Free Homemaker, Real Food Forager, Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, Time-Warp Wife, Whole New Mom, Confessions of a Frugal Mind, Vintage Wannabee, Women Living Well, Blue Cricket Designs, Turning the Clock Back, Frugally Sustainable, The Thrifty Home, Raising Homemakers, The Healthy Home Economist, Skip To My Lou, Food Corner, Milk & Cuddles, This Chick Cooks, Chef In Training, Celebrating Family, Far Above Rubies, Growing Home, Rook No. 17, Deep Roots at Home, It’s A Keeper, GNOWFGLINS, The Greenbacks Gal, Food Renegade, Real Food Whole Health, Comfy in the Kitchen, Little Natural Cottage, Real Food Freaks, Raising Mighty Arrows, Our Simple Country Life, The Nourishing Gourmet, Flour Me With Love, The Modest Mom Blog, Nourishing Treasures, Young Living Oil Lady, Our Simple Farm, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Laura’s Gluten Free Pantry, Day2Day Joys,

Print Friendly and PDF

Comments

1. This recipe is calling me out-I can't wait to make it! Love the combination of apples, almonds and honey.

2. Michelle @ The Willing Cook says:

This looks fantastic! Besides gluten-free, I also have to cook dairy, egg, soy, and corn-free. I think your recipe would be very easy to adapt. Thanks for sharing it! I pinned it on pinterest.

3. bike sales says:

THis looks really delicious :) thanks for sharing

4. withoutadornment says:

This cake sounds and looks delicious!

I've never heard of soaking flours before, but that sounds interesting. I do have a question – do you add your leavening agents before or after you soak it? For if you add them before hand, wouldn't they react right away and then there would be nothing left for when the cake actually bakes?

5. without adornment – you are correct, when you soak your flour you only combine flour with any liquid ingredients in the recipe. After it's soaked for about 24 hours you can add the leavening agents and any other ingredients.

Soaking is hugely beneficial to your 'gut' health. It breaks down components in the flour and makes it much easier for your body to digest it properly. For more info, just take a peek at Soaking & Sprouting.

6. dishesanddishes says:

This looks just wonderful. I usually skip making frosting because I am too lazy but for this I would make an exception. :)

7. Tracey @ ControltheChaos says:

I pinned this recipe! Can't wait to try it.

8. Jill@RealFoodForager.com says:

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

Share your great fermented food recipes at my Probiotic Food Linky – open through Februray 6, 2012.

9. Thanks so much for sharing this! I'm gf and dairy free and mostly egg free too, but I almost never bake myself anything. But this week, my husband is trying a no-wheat elimination. I halved the recipe and made this for him this evening (without the frosting). Ordinarily, he's very picky about texture and loves gluten texture, not gf goods. Maybe it was the dairy and egg that helped, but he absolutely loved this! I'm so glad to have been able to fix him something he enjoyed.

cheers,
    Ela

10. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

My daughter is gluten free – AND egg fee. I'd have to alter this a bit but I"m sure it would be a hit!

11. Ela – so glad he liked it. Half the battle in eliminating a food is finding things you CAN have and like at the same time. :)

12. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more says:

yum, I don't need to do gluten free, but this sounds great.

13. Sonja @ practical-stewardship.com says:

May be a silly questions, but do you just leave the soaking batter on the counter, room temp.?

Thanks!

14. Sonja,

No question is a silly question. :) I should have made a note of this in the post (it's been corrected now).

Usually when I soak something I leave it at room temp. But since this recipe soaks with the eggs and buttermilk in it, I refrigerate it.

I don't think soaking it in milk would harm you any (think Amish Friendship Bread), but the eggs could potentially be a problem. To be on the safe side, you can set the bowl in the refrigerator and then bring it out to warm up to room temp when you're ready to add the other ingredients.

15. Mom Photographer says:

Do you think I could use a regular or whole wheat flour for this recipe. I really like it but I do not care much for the gluten free twist… :)

16. Hi Mom Photographer,

I don't think that would be a problem at all. If I were to use regular or whole wheat flour for this recipe I would use the same amount (2 1/4 c.) and see what happens. :) I think it will turn out great!

17. Mom Photographer says:

thank your! appreciate your answer!

18. Jenn Erickson says:

Thank you so much for sharing your talent and creativity on “A Little Birdie Told Me…” Tuesday this past week! It means a lot to have you be one of our birds of a feather! I hope the party has brought some good things your way.
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

P.S. I'm featuring your post on my Facebook page today!

19. Hi Jenn,

Thanks so much for sharing! Glad to be part of your link up – it's great.

20. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says:

This looks scrumptious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

21. Carrie @ young living oil lady says:

I LOVE this recipe! Pinning this to my GF/DF board. Would love for you to link up with us at Kids in the Kitchen and share it with us: http://younglivingoillady.com/home/kids-in-the-kitchen-link-up-week-9/ Thanks so much! Moms would love to see this recipe :)

22. Kelli Becton-AdventurezInChildRearing says:

this may be my favorite of all! thanks for Linking with KIK! we're thrilled to have you-

23. Thanks Kelli – this one is most definitely a favorite around here. Speaking of which, I'm sure no one would complain if I hopped over to the kitchen. . .

24. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures says:

25. Would Love to try this! I Do have a few questions though. I am on a gluten /grain and sugar free diet. and there is quite a bit of sugar/ powered sugar in the frosting any suggestions on substitutes??? What can I use instead of powdered sugar?? also what flour blend would you recommend that rises properly?

26. Cheryl Anne says:

Paula, I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful and moist cake (and delicious frosting) your recipe makes. I served it for dessert this evening and we all loved it!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Applesauce Almond Cake with Brown Sugar & Honey Frosting by Whole Intentions [...]

2. [...] Gluten-Free Applesauce Almond Cake from Whole Intentions I would use a candida-friendly sweetener.  You can see my post on Substituting Sweeteners for some ideas of how to sub sweeteners.  For the milk, you can use Easiest Almond Milk, Homemade Coconut Milk or Homemade Rice Milk.  And, of course, Homemade Egg Replacer for the eggs. [...]

3. [...] Gluten-Free Applesauce Almond Cake w/ Brown Sugar Frosting @ Whole Intentions [...]

4. [...] Gluten Free Applesauce Almond Cake from Whole Intentions  (I can’t wait try this cake!) [...]

5. [...] Based on Whole Intentions (Paula’s) GF Applesauce Almond Cake with Brown Sugar & Honey Frosting [...]

I'm so glad you're here today! Please feel free to leave a comment.