Chocolate Zucchini Buckwheat Bundt Cake (Gluten-Free)

This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more in my Disclosure Policy.

Chocolate Zucchini Buckwheat Bundt CakeI was in a baking mood today. It just hits sometimes – the urge to blend ingredients and pull something yummy, chocolaty, and moist from the oven. I also needed to use up some frozen zucchini I had in the freezer and zucchini bread didn’t fit my craving.

So, I did a search and came across Gluten Free Betty’s blog. She had a zucchini cake that looked good – perhaps too good with thick frosting and 2 cups of sugar. While my sweet tooth cried “Yes!”, my bathroom scale yelled, “No!”

And my bathroom scale can yell pretty loud. :)

So I cut the sugar in half, which I do to almost every recipe I use. (You can barely tell the difference). I used a Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (below) that calls for honey as the sweetener – and I cut the frosting recipe itself in half.

I decided to use buckwheat flour only in this recipe. Buckwheat is not considered a grain, it is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb. It has a strong, nutty flavor so I hoped the zucchini and chocolate would temper that nicely.

I was quite happy with the results.

Yes, it still has some of that buckwheat flavor, but you could substitute any gluten free flour or blend if you prefer. The cake itself was very moist and didn’t fall apart like others I’ve tried. It had just the right amount of sweetness – enough to satisfy my sweet tooth but not so much I felt like I was eating wedding cake. :)

Chocolate Zucchini Buckwheat Bundt Cake (gluten-free, nut-free, yeast-free)

3 eggs
1 c. cane sugar (the original recipe calls for 2 cups)
3/4 c. milk (or coconut milk)
3/4 c. coconut oil
2 c. grated zucchini (Make sure they are squeezed dry if you are using frozen.)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. sprouted buckwheat flour (can use any gluten-free flour or flour blend)
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. (Yep, it’s that easy!)

3. Grease a bundt pan and pour in the batter.

4. Bake about 50-55 min. Let cool about 10 minutes before flipping it out.

*To make this a soaked flour recipe here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Combine the eggs, milk, oil, and buckwheat flour in a bowl. You need to add an acidic liquid and you can do that in one of two ways: Replace the entire amount of milk with homemade yogurt or kefir. You can also reduce the milk by 3 tablespoons and then add 3 tablespoons of homemade yogurt, kefir, whey, buttermilk, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar.
2. Let this batter sit for 12-24 hours. (The longer the better.)
3. When you are ready to bake, add the rest of the ingredients and bake as per instructions. Note that you may need to increase your baking time a bit.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (this is half of the original recipe) (egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, yeast-free)

2 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 Tbsp. milk (or coconut milk)
2 Tbsp. raw honey
2 Tbsp. cacao or unsweetened cacao powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. dry milk powder
dash of celtic sea salt

1. Cream together all ingredients. Frosting will thicken a bit if you let it sit.

2. Scoop into a storage bag and cut off a tiny section of the bottom corner.

3. Squeeze the frosting out over the cake and let sit for about 20 min. before cutting.

Shared with: Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, Time-Warp Wife, Real Food Forager, Whole New Mom, Confessions of a Frugal Mind, Vintage Wannabee, Blue Cricket Designs, Turning the Clock Back, The Gluten-Free Homemaker, The Healthy Home Economist, Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, The Girl Creative, The Prairie Homestead, Skip To My Lou, Women Living Well, Food Corner, Frugally Sustainable, Milk & Cuddles, This Chick Cooks, Raising Homemakers, Flour Me With Love, Chef In Training, Celebrating Family, Far Above Rubies, Growing Home, Rook No. 17, It’s A Keeper, GNOWFGLINS, The Greenbacks Gal, Food Renegade, Real Food Whole Health, Comfy in the Kitchen, Little Natural Cottage, Real Food Freaks, Deep Roots at Home, Raising Mighty Arrows, Our Simple Country Life, The Nourishing Gourmet, The Modest Mom Blog, Nourishing Treasures, Young Living Oil Lady, Our Simple Farm, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Laura’s Gluten Free Pantry, Day2Day Joys,

Print Friendly and PDF

Comments

1. all american pressure canner says:

When I firststarted to read this recipe it seemed to me too complex. But it wasn't. I made it yesterday and I made it quite quickly. And the result was delicious!

2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm all for recipes that come together nicely – and ones that taste good too!

3. Psyllium Powder says:

Thank you for sharing this useful information…
    Psyllium Powder

4. Andrea (@FrSeed2Stomach) says:

kinda wish I had some zucchini in the freezer! I think subbing some almond meal for the buckwheat flour would be good. curious to know if anyone's tried anything like that before… I'm also wondering if you think this would work in a rectangular pan. I don't have a bundt pan, but would love to try this recipe!

5. I have all of the ingredients for this recipe except for dry milk powder and xanthum gum…any ideas for substitutes? This looks so good!

6. I haven't experimented with almond flour in this recipe.

I don't know why it wouldn't work in a regular 9×13 pan though. I just used the bundt for something different. :) The kids are wowed by anything out of the ordinary. :)

7. Sabrina – xanthan gum is not necessary, it might be a tad bit more crumbly, but it's not essential. In fact I've been taking it out of a lot of my recipes without much noticeable difference.

(Off the top of my head) If I didn't have dry milk powder on hand for the frosting, I'd cut the liquid milk out and possibly add a bit more cacao. It might be a bit runnier, but if you poke holes in the cake with a knife, the frosting would soak into the cake a bit more and make it nice and moist.

8. Gorgouse looking cake!
    I've made a zucchini cake before so I know it's quite good, but I just looooooove your cake

9. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says:

Looks delicious! I love the addition of zucchini :) Please stop over and share this yummy recipe at Mix it up Monday:

I hope to see you soon :)

10. Cake looks so delicious & moist..thanks for sharing with Midweek Fiesta…

11. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says:

Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

12. I made muffins almost the same way a few weeks ago! :)

13. Jill Cruz says:

This cake looks great! My daughter is drooling over the picture and says, "that would be so good with a glass of milk!"

14. LOL! Why is it that milk always taste so good with chocolate?

15. Carrie @ young living oil lady says:

Hey Paula! Thanks so much for sharing so many delicious recipes with us at Kids in the Kitchen. Do you think I could make this recipe with almond milk? I am sure in my recipes it won't matter if I use coconut or almond. Would love to know if you have tried it any other way? I always make my own chocolate cake for the boys' birthday and I think I will try it this way and see what they think. Please come back again next week and share your recipes with us! Bless you! (did you notice we have the same Bible quote?!)

16. Kelli Becton-AdventurezInChildRearing says:

another great one! I'll be grinding my own wheat from now on- I've got my grinder on order and it'll be arriving with my order of wheat berries by next week ;)better put this on the list!

17. Hi Carrie,

I've never tried it with almond milk, but I think it would add a nice flavor and shouldn't be a problem at all.

Yes, I did notice our Bible quotes were the same. I even had to laugh out loud that you've been posting on Shepherding a Child's Heart as I've been putting together a series on that to post in the near future myself!

Thanks for the invite – I'll be back!

18. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures says: