It’s the perfect morning picture isn’t it? A muffin ready to be nibbled and tea waiting to be sipped. The sunshine is pouring across the kitchen table, birds are singing outside the window, and the noise of a busy day is not yet underway.
A morning started this way would do us all a world of good for the hours that follow.
Betty Crocker must have agreed with me, because she came up with this wonderful muffin recipe. I adapted it to become gluten-free along with the option of making it egg-free as well.You can make them into muffins or cut into bars. Go ahead, make a batch and we can nibble them together.
Morning Glory Muffins (egg-free, gluten-free, yeast-free)
1/2 c. Master Mix
1/3 c. cane sugar
2 T. unsalted butter, softened
2 c. Master Mix
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. allspice
1/4 t. nutmeg
3/4 c. carrots, shredded
1/4 c. walnuts, chopped
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 c. shredded coconut
2 T. cane sugar
2/3 c. milk (can use coconut milk)
2 T. coconut oil
1 egg (I’ve substituted this with 1/4 c. pumpkin puree with great results.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin or 8″x8″ square pan.
2. Combine streusel ingredients, cutting in butter until fully incorporated. Set aside.
3. For the batter: combine all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and blend until evenly blended. Set aside.
4. Combine wet ingredients in small bowl and then add to the dry batter ingredients. Stir until just moistened.
5. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin or baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with the streusel.
6. Bake for 20 minutes if you are making muffins and for 30-35 minutes if you are making in a square baking pan.
4. When you are ready to bake, follow directions as usual. However, be aware that you may have to increase your baking time a bit as soaked flours take longer to bake per cup.
Don’t know where to purchase some of these ingredients? Visit our Whole Food Sources page.
Shared at: Talking Dollars & Cents, Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, Flour Me With Love, The Healthy Home Economist, The Prairie Homestead, The Modest Mom, Nourishing Traditions, Chef in Training, Time-Warp Wife, Real Food Forager, Young Living Oil Lady, Rook No. 17, Cultured Mama, Vintage Wannabee, Growing Home, Far Above Rubies, Women Living Well, The King’s Court IV, The Gluten-Free Homemaker, Deep Roots at Home, Whole New Mom, Raising Homemakers, This Chick Cooks, It’s A Keeper, GNOWFLGINS, The Greenbacks Gal, Our Simple Country Life, The Nourishing Gourmet, Real Food Renegade, Real Food Whole Health, Comfy in the Kitchen, Raising Mighty Arrows, Healthy 2day Wednesdays,